Thursday, April 30, 2009

Protein is good. Carbs are easy, but protein is tastier if you take the time to prepare your food. For example - start making lunch before you're ready to eat your foot.

I am down 11 pounds since I started this whole thing in February. And I've only been exercising for about 2 weeks. So, I feel ok about that.
There is also that period of time where Easter Candy was here...

Do you ever stop to think
about some of the words you use on a regular basis. Words that come out of your mouth and are quite possibly insulting someone, but you have heard them your whole life so you never gave it any thought?
There is a group in Facebook called "Stop Using the R-Word."
For the life of me, I couldn't think of it. What starts with R??
RETARD.
I use that word all the time - and not in it's Webster meaning. I use it when something is fucked up. I call it retarded.
I call my husband retarded about 76 times a day.
When I stopped to think about it after seeing one of my friends on FB in this group, I though "wow, that is sort of mean."
So, I am going to try to stop it.
And what about "gay".
I am a huge believer in Equal Rights, Gay Marriage, "Love Makes a Family"... but I say "that's gay" all the time. And I don't mean "that's homosexual", I mean "that's retarded". (Oops.)
Anyway... something to think about. Who knows what else I say... Those 2 will be hard enough to work on.
But in all seriousness - when I think about it, if Abby were to say "you're a retard" or "that's so gay", I would be floored. And I would have only myself to blame.
I mean, she was saying "oh, fuck" at 2 years old.
I curbed those F-bombs, I can work on the rest of my vocab, too.

I want to run a 5K.

Are you done laughing?
Seriously. I do.
And I happen to be married to an ex-runner. (Meaning - he ran in high school and college and even a little in his twenties but we have aged and gained - blissfully - together.)
So, we'll run together.
Not together-together. I mean, who will watch the kids?
But we're going to train at the same time.

My weight loss adventure - this time - is more about getting healthy and living an active, healthy lifestyle. I want to be fun with my kids. I want to be comfortable with my body enough to chase them on the beach. I want to be able to keep up with them!!
And, not to be morbid, I want to live long enough to see them have kids, and maybe even their kids have kids.
People live a reeeeeeeeeeeally long time in my family. I want to, too, but I also want to feel and look good.

My
Grampy turned 90 today. So, on Saturday we will pack up the family truckster and head to Queens to celebrate.
90.
Crazy, huh?
But I'll tell ya - that fat, old Sicilian is almost as fiery at 90 as he was at 70. He slowed a bit because he had a stroke but he still gets revved up at the big holidays. (And if you have any Italian in you, whatsoever, you know that a Sicilian with even a little fire is not someone to fuck with.)
So - Happy Birthday, Gramps! See ya Saturday!

5 comments:

Mama said...

We are getting better at exercising too. I love the Wii Fit but I am going to start really running after the baby is born. Just an idea but I have been looking at the listings on craigslist for a double/triple jogger - you might want to check them out. BTW your Grampa is too cute!!

Unknown said...

I just gave my Double Jogger away.
Never used it!
I really want to make exercise my "alone" thing, though, so that's fine with me. :)

Allison said...

Wow, congrats on your loss! I feel like it is definitely harder losing the weight I gained from Ella than it was with James. I totally agree with you about it being less a vanity thing and more about getting healthy. I also want my daughter to escape the negative body issues I picked up at a very young age. A 5K is an excellent goal. You can do it!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to the Head Cheese. He looks like he doesn't take crap from anyone.
If it helps, I say bugger and nuts... not together of course, but the kids have copied me. It sounds funny in a kooky kind of way, but I really don't want Nina yelling "Oh Bugger!" when she drops something at school. I'm with ya on the vocabulary curbing!
Joanne

Gini said...

Eleven pounds....??? YOU ROCK! Great job. Sounds like there is no turning back now....I like getting to that point in a diet...not sure when I'm gonna get there THIS time..but I like it!

Swearing? Well. Never did it around Hannah. She spoke early and spoke well. Swore a little bit around Connor. Couldn't speak for a long time after all. Got away with it for that reason. Garrin....well. Swearing way more often, sometimes even in FRONT of older two (their friends say those words now, don't they?) Garrin drops most consonants but I clearly understood when he tried to repeat what I said when I called some guy that cut me off on the road - a stupid fucking asshole. (Imagine that phrase - in only vowel sounds...) Anyhoo - I need to "zip it" myself.

Your grandfather...well, can you say Uncle Mike? Fiery Sicilian you don't fuck with. He looks adorable though!