Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I just ate a hunk of Munson's Chocolate. Does that sound like a woman trying to lose 50 pounds?
No.
But it does sound like a woman who has been watching 2 kids in addition to her own 2 for 12 hours at a clip for the past 2 days and will be for the next 3, as well. That same woman who has been shit & puked on more times than she cares to recollect over the past 6 days. And that same woman who is just settling in to do some serious checkbook balancing and bill paying.
That is a woman who, although she is dieting, needs a hunk of Munson's.

Speaking of shit & puke. I don't know if it is the poly-blend or the cold water wash but I had to toss 2 sets of Wyatt's jammies back into the laundry tonight after putting them on his freshly clean and precious, puke & poop-free body. He had a nice tubby, I changed his sheets (for the 29th time this week) and was ready to put him in his crib, all cozy and sweet. But I smelled puke still. Convinced it was just burnt into my nose I called Jay in for a second sniff. Yes, he smelled puke, too.
Why is that?
I have been trying to use the Cold Water option on my washer to conserve energy. Is that it, ya think? Or is my All Free & Clear not puke-worthy? Or is it just the crappy poly blend that they make pajamas out of so the kids don't catch on fire?
I put the stuff back in, same detergent, same fabric - but with the regular, warm wash. If that doesn't work I'll be buying new jammies.

In my MOMS Club, I am a very active member. I love being a member and completely and totally appreciate the friends, connections and opportunities that have come my way since getting involved. I have been the Secretary on the Board and Editor of the Newsletter; currently I am the Calendar Coordinator and Mom's Night Out Planner.
With Cinco de Mayo around the corner, I have planned a fun night at a local, Gen-U-Ine Mexican Restaurant. They are having specials, give aways and a live band to celebrate! Fun, right?

It reminded me of a Mom's Night Out on Cinco de Mayo about 2 years ago.
It was a huge house party at one of the mom's houses. Her husband is a gourmet chef and they hosted this annual shindig, accepting only donations to a local charity for entry. When I say "gourmet", I am not kidding.
Anyway - I remember, very naive at the time, saying "wow, this is so fun, we should do this with our husbands, too." And one mom, Carissa, who I cherish as a friend now but didn't know very well then said to me "this ain't about them, this is our night out."
And I remember thinking "ew, guess she doesn't like her husband very much. I like to be with my husband as much as I can. I have the happiest marriage ever."
I laugh at myself now because I am where Carissa already was then, now. And recently a newer mom said to me "can myhusband come out with us to XX?"
My response?
"No. It ain't about him. This is for you. Go out with him another time."
I can only hope that her day will come, too, that she will know that I truly only have her best interests in mind and we all need a night out. Even if it is only once a month.
All of us need a night off. From all of it.

4 comments:

Kim said...

Nice to see you back in the land of the living! I think you've earned a hunk of Munson's!

I read once to wash baby clothes in the hottest wash you can, just for that reason. I did that a lot when Matthew was spitting up all the time, and I do it now whenever I know there's something in the load that needs that extra oomph. Not great using the extra energy to heat the water, but neither is having to wash them again, using another load's worth of detergent and water.

I hear ya on the MOMS Club. I feel the same way about the Newcomers' Club I'm part of in town. At first, I was taken aback by the fact that the events are only for women. But as time has gone on, I've come to see the wisdom behind that, and I appreciate it.

After the week you've had, you deserve more than a night off!

Stacie1980 said...

Your mom's club sounds like a blast, Liz! Is it bad that after 10 years I still don't want to do anything without Randy? : )

Chocolate is goood and you need to indulge every now and again. After the week you've had...you EARNED that damn chocolate.

How did Wyatt's jammies turn out?

Unknown said...

I have one cuddly blanket and one pair of jammies in the wash for the third time. last try, really. I hope they come clean - they're so cute.

Gini said...

Here's my remedy for the shitty, pukey clothes - throw them in the garbage - even if the smell does come out - I will still "think" I smell it and it is not worth my time that I waste sniffing it to see if it DOESN'T still smell....you get me??? Glad this is over for you now. And good to have you back.

Sounds like the group is a special part of your life. My little somethin' somethin's are mine and all mine and I like that that time is for me and whoever - the girls, school, the swim team....it's my time to feel like I am giving to someone other than my family. Call me crazy but I have ALWAYS been OK with not including Bill right from the start...tee hee hee.