Thursday, April 2, 2009

Wow - that poll is really rockin! I am so excited!
And, my shameless attempts at grabbing your attention away from Facebook and onto my Blog are working! I love it.
Welcome to my new readers!!! I love that you are also old friends!!
I have re-activated the ability to comment anonymously - please feel free to do so if you have something to say, I do love to hear from you. Please sign your name if you use the anonymous option, though. It's nice to know who's saying what.

So - my mind is racing with activities.
Gymnastics, swimming lessons, school, ballet, karate, playgroup, Sunday School... you name it. The kid turns 3 and all of a sudden she's busier than me! And more expensive!
How much is too much? What is the right mix? When should what begin and when should it end and what should overlap?
It's crazy!

I won't buy into the "competitive" aspect of it. I have no desire to prepare my preschooler for Grad school. She is completely perfect just the way she is and I will continue to gauge how and what she needs by her telling me and me watching her. It worked with on-demand nursing, it works with on-demand learning - it's all the same thing, it's called "being mommy".

I do buy, however, the need to stimulate her and keep her interested in learning, achieving, growing etc. I want her to have every opportunity that she is capable of and interested in.

So, that brings me back to my original point - how much is too much, how much is not enough?

She will begin Preschool in the Fall. 2 days a week, 2 hours a day. I will drop her off and leave here there. I won't be watching like we do in gymnastics. That is a big deal. I think she will be great and very happy and amazing and thrive in her school environment, but it's still a really big deal.

It's a milestone.

And I won't rush into it.

Therefore, we won't be putting her into any preschool camps this summer - which is basically summer school.
She can get dropped off in September - with the cool breezes & the warm sun, a brand new backpack and new shoes and her teary-eyed mama waving from the classroom window. And waving. And crying. And waving... until the teacher has to tell me that I am disrupting her class and I have to leave.

Anyway - Jay and I do agree that swimming lessons this summer are a must. We have a pool, we could teach her. But, for $50, we'll pay a CPR-Certified Lifeguard to teach her, we'll just reinforce it at home.
That, too, is called "being mommy (and daddy)".

Should we sign up for Ballet Class, too? I have never known a little princess who loved to dance like a ballerina as much as I see my sweet girl primed and ready for plies and positions.
So, which one?
The 1 week, 5 day one through the town or the 8 week, 1 day version through the private dance school?

We know that she loves gymnastics, we know that she looks forward to the one day a week that she goes. We know that one day a week is enough.
So - do we sign up for the Fall semester? I am supposed to know if we'll be back in the Fall by early May.
Isn't 2 days at preschool enough "schedule" for my baby?
That is pretty much done in my mind. We can re-visit the gymnastics decision for the Winter or Spring semester - let's leave Fall alone, shall we? I think preschool will be bough for all of us. At least at first.

And the boy! What about the boy!?
With Abby out of the picture 4 hours a week - should I sign us up for some sort of "Mommy & Me" shit!?
Or should I just enjoy being with him and being alone together?
We can go to the park, we can go to playgroup, we can even just grocery shop, just the 2 of us... We've never been alone, Wyatt and I... it will be quite lovely.
I think he can wait for a pay-by-the-hour activity.
At least until the Winter semester...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy you reactivated the anonymous option. I love reading your blog and like to comment at times. You dont know me so I will not leave my name.

Allison said...

GREAT POST!!! So many similar things going through my mind--that Hebron Parks and Rec brochure was FILLED with great summer ideas. Hey, we'll both be down to one in the fall--more time for conversation over coffee!!

Unknown said...

An - I appreciate the compliment and the reading - but I have to imagine that I do know you - even if there are many degrees of separation. Why would you be on my blog, Kim's and Gini's? It's weird - and sort of perverse.
You should post with your name, it would prove to me that you're not a zit-covered 12-year old boy looking for a titty shot.

Beth said...

Hey Liz, gotta tell you, I loooove your blog! When I read it I think about how similiar we really are.You touch upon so many of the same things I've thought about, especially the whole "how much is too much" with the kids' activities. As far as Wyatt goes, I say savor every moment! My baby boy just turned 7 and my oldest turns 10 in afew weeks. The time goes by too quickly. They will remember the walks to the park and special time spent with them, and just as importantly, so will you :)

Unknown said...

Beth! I'm so excited to have you here! Thank you for reading, and yes, I agree - the time goes by so quickly and while I look forward to the future, I do truly try to cherish the right now, too.
Thanks again - and really, I love having you!

Kim said...

Parenthood sure is full of decisions. Use your gut, as you have up to this point, and everything will work out great. You've got that Mommy-sense.

I think Wyatt will LOVE having you all to himself - it'll be a whole new adventure for both of you!

Anonymous said...

How did you know I was a zit-covered 12-year old boy?

Gini said...

I love Kimmy's response. And I agree. Knowing what, where, who, and how much is a Mommy Instinct. You just know. And only you know what is best for your kids and you. That will not stop me from putting my two cents in, since I am on year 11 of scheduling childrens activities. When the kids are little, it becomes routine to try this and try that to see what they like to do, and what they may be good at. There will come a day, which much to your surprise they will tell you what that is and that they will do whatever it takes to commit to it. Maybe not in those words exactly, but you will know. Then you can look back and feel good that you allowed them each opportunity to get to where they are. Once they make that commitment to themselves and to you - they learn time management skills almost simultaneously. They figure out how to make it work - school, activities, family time, friends...all of it. All by themselves. And at a much younger age than you'd ever think. So trust your gut - try lots of things and see how that works within your family dynamic. And starting them young, I think, makes them thrive emotionally and socially.

Stacie1980 said...

Holy shit, Liz. That made my head spin just reading it! : ) As far as baby Wyatt is concerned; I say for the time being just enjoy your time with that little man. There's plenty of time left for more structured activities.

And little Abby...you're going to ball like a baby when she goes to pre-school. : ) William starts Kindergarten in just 4 months and I've been spending the better part of the week lamenting over how fast these almost 5 years have gone. He still sucks his thumb for God's sake!!

I'm not sure where I'm going with this...but I know that as their mommy you'll know what to do and when to do it. Just remember...they're only truly "yours" for such a brief amount of time.