Sunday, April 5, 2009

My family is in NY, as I have previously mentioned. So, for holidays, we split our time between NY and CT. We always go to my mom's for Thanksgiving, we always go to Jay's mom's for Christmas. Christmas Eve and Easter have generally fallen between the 2 sides evenly. Of course, because of where we are in relation to everyone else, we see more of Jay's side than mine, so if I can push it, my family gets more holidays.

Easter is a holiday that holds a very special place in my heart because over the past few years, we have made it into a fabulous, fun-filled, New York City Weekend Blow Out!
(Easter also holds a very special place for me because of Jesus, obviously, but I won't get into that here and now. I will, just not right now. But I really do want to share my experience at church this morning. Amazing.)

So, I had previously told you about our hotel reservations being booked at the Hilton Millennium and that we were revved up and ready to go!!
But, duty calls, shit happens and we won't be heading to NYC for this Easter.

You know that feeling when you are SO unbelievably disappointed and so sad for not only yourself but for someone that you love?
But at the same time, you can totally see the bright side, but you don't really want to admit it because you still feel really sad for the other people in the mix?
That's where I am.

We can't go to New York. That's certain, there is no way around it so, I have accepted that and now I am looking forward to:
a) attending my own church on Easter Morning.
b) eating dyed, hard-boiled eggs for breakfast
(at least as an appetizer as my Easter Strata warms up)
c) Making Easter Strata for breakfast
d) seeing our kids wake up to their Easter Baskets in their own house
e) delighting Jay's family with my beautiful children at Easter Dinner
f) not spending the BUCKS for the NYC hotel & food
and then the dog kennel when we get back!

And even though those are all really great and happy things. I still feel really sad because:
a) I know that Auntie Frannie is so disappointed
b) I really enjoy New York City & I was really looking forward to that hotel
c) I love Tradition and maybe it's just my OCD,
but I hate breaking the "Easter in NYC" streak.
d) This is the first time in years that my parents are home in time for Easter
and we won't be there.

Oh, my goodness... see the conflict?!

Anyway - here are some pictures from last year's celebration, we really had so much fun:

Bryant Park, Wyatt is in the stroller right next to us, don't worry!


See? There he is!


It's hard to tell through the Ben & Jerry's but this was quite a cute outfit!
This is back in the hotel room, after a full day in Manhattan.


Here's the view from our room.
When you have 2 babies that have to go to bed before 7,
you pay a little extra for a room worth hanging out in.


Easter morning we met my sister & her family at the Hard Rock for an early lunch.
They were heading to see Little Mermaid on Broadway,
we were making our way up to Queens, to my aunt's house.


Here we are at my aunt's house for Easter Dinner.
Note Wywy's rosey cheeks - I think Saturday was his first day outside all day.
He loved it, but he was rosey for 2 days following!

Ah, good times! I love Easter, I love New York and I love my family.

7 comments:

Stacie1980 said...

In my life I have always tried to "look on the bright side" and I can say that 95% of the time it works wonders. :) That is a wonderful attitude to have and I know that while you will miss your time in NY with your family; you will make beautiful memories regardless.

Stacie1980 said...

P.S. - LOVE the pictures; I would like to visit NY at least once before I croak. : )

Unknown said...

Thanks - btw, LOVE your Profile Pic!! When are you going to start your own Blog, missy?!

Bill said...

Liz, I know this won't make it any easier.. But everything happens for a reason. Peace to you and your family.

Kim said...

Liz, I'm disappointed for you - I know how much you love that tradition, and it sucks that your parents will be up for Easter this year to boot.

But, as you've said, you'll make a wonderful Easter at home and then off to the senior Losh's. It'll be beautiful, for so many reasons.

BTW, I remember that pic of you, Abigail and Wyatt from last Easter. That's one of my all time faves of you, so I just stole it. =)

Allison said...

Great pics, Liz! And that view from your hotel window was amazing. I am sure Easter will be sweet this year, even at home. Abby's Easter dress is beautiful in that pic!

Easter will be bittersweet for me this year too--I was looking forward to spending it with my Mom--it would have been her and my Dad's first chance to share Easter with their grandchildren.

But, like you, we will greet the day with open arms and spend it as a family, together.

Gini said...

Bill took the words right out of my mouth. Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason doesn't show it's face right away and you feel like shit in the meantime....but all will be good. From what I can tell, you don't have the type of personality that will bring down this holiday anyway, anyhow....