Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Way Back Wednesday
This picture was taken by my mother on the day that Jay & I arrived to their rented house in St. Pete, FL. I think it was February of 2001 because I think we had twin beds in our bedroom. I am sure my parents felt silly separating us but ok with having us in the same room, with 2 beds. See, we wouldn't be married for a few more months. :)
Now my parents own a condo, on the water, with a great view in a great 55+ community with great pools and restaurants and shopping etc... I love it there so much. They bought their condo in the same complex that my grandparents own(ed) theirs for my entire life.
I spent my entire childhood going to Florida. We went as a family and when I was old enough, I went alone - to stay with my grandparents on school breaks.
Now, my Grampa has passed and my Gramma is in an Assisted Living facility in NY. But we still have FL because my parents are there now. The world keeps on spinning, right?

Anyway - this picture is so great because we had flown down and you know that feeling when you first get to the warm vacation destination from the cold winter of home? That feeling of ice and snow and aggravation literally melting off of your body? I love the smell of Florida. I love the smell of Tampa International Airport. I love the way the humid Florida breeze blows away worry, stress and cold.
And this picture shows the yuck falling off of us.

Notice - Jay already has on his vacation hat. I am still wearing my cold weather clothes - that guy wasted no time throwing on shorts and his bucket hat. (I seem to recall having a spa appointment the next morning for appropriate vacation-hair removal.) But we're sitting with our feet in the water, looking out at the people on their boats, jet skis, other docks and thinking
"now this... this is what we work for."

Two & a half weeks till the "aaaahhhhhhhhh" hits us again. This time we are not traveling in the cold of February but I suspect I'll still feel it. It's still Florida. It's still palm trees and warm, humid breezes.

5 comments:

Allison said...

That will be a wonderful way to welcome summer and shed the blahs of winter!

Stacie1980 said...

This whole post just made me smile and yearn for a vacation. Sadly I haven't been on an actual "vacation" since I was 15.

We didn't have a fancy honeymoon...Adam was in NICU so we stayed at an Embassy Suites in St. Louis just 10 minutes from the hospital. I didn't care...I was just happy to be married...but boy would I love to make up for that someday. : )

Kim said...

Great picture - love Jay's bucket hat! Isn't it awesome how a picture can take you back and you can feel exactly how you felt when it was taken?

It's so great that you guys have a place to get away to, a home away from home. Whether it's cold here or not, I'm sure it's going to be a wonderful vacation.

Unknown said...

Each sister has rented a house (ok, my oldest sister is shacking up with my older sister, but still - we'll have 2 big houses between us).
Each house has a pool (ours has a hot tub, too - woot woot!) plus there is a community pool and playground (and other stuff but we don't play tennis and won't be having any parties)... we'll have 8 days of each other. Sounds like a lot - but it's not when you consider my sister hasn't even met Wyatt yet!
I CANNOT WAIT!

Gini said...

Best photo yet. I'll say it again - just something about being near the water. You can tell that you are in heaven. Good for you - and I am sure you are beyond excited for your trip back!!!