Wednesday, April 1, 2009

I still have a little bit of New York in me, that is less from the fact that I grew up in Putnam County and more because my parents and extended family are all genuine city-folk.

I have a lot of Connecticut, which my NYer family often makes fun of. Simple differences like, I say ORange, they say AHrange. (The fruit. Stay with me here.) FlORida, FlAHrida.

Sometimes I squash my "a" sound, which drives me crazy when I hear it. You know it - when someone says the name "Carrie" but it might as well be "Kerry" - they don't pronounce them any different. It makes me crazy to hear it but it makes me NUTS when I do it myself.

When I get a cup of coffee I have to concentrate when with my CT brethren, I try very hard to CAH-ffee but it never fails, there is always some funny-guy who has to say "oh, she wants a cup of CAWFEE, get this girl some CAWFEE. Hey, did you hear that? She said "Cawfee"." That never gets old, I laugh and laugh at that funny, funny guy.

My speech is very impressionable. After a week with my sister in Scotland I picked up a few tidbits that have stuck with me. I say "cardi" rather than cardigan sweater - I think that's cute because my niece, Cara, loves her cardies and talked about which one he would wear endlessly.
I also say "cheeky" because it's cool - you all wish you had a good reason to use a cool, British term. I have one.
My most noted and most involuntary is my pronunciation of the word "naughty". If I don't pronounce the "t" very speficially it feels wrong to me, but I also know that I got that from my week with Deborah, not my proper-English upbringing.

One day with Michele and I sound like J-Lo for a week. (J-Lo also tends to pop out when I am angry or drinking... both times of very fast speaking, I can't control myself.)

Send me south for a quick vacation, I carry a twang for weeks. Send me to Maine for a long weekend and I'm eating "lobstah".

I don't do it on purpose, I just do it. And I used to be so self-conscious of it but now, as we have discussed here so often, I have gotten much more comfortable with me, as a person who I really like and don't constantly criticize or apologize for. So, I like it.

I am really looking forward to a week in Florida (twang, here I come) with my sister, Deborah and her Scottish brood.
Can you have a twangy brogue?

4 comments:

Allison said...

I am also impressionable when it comes to regional speech. Most recently, Chris has been working with some Brits who constantly are saying brilliant (pronounced "brill-yant") to describe great things. I can't get it out of my head. Like last night, I actually said out loud, "That Adam is BRILLYANT!"

Kim said...

I love when you say Caw-fee, and I've heard you say Ahrange. You can take the girl out of the city...

Gini said...

I like things like that that make people make unique. Living here where everyone is from somewhere else, it's kind of fun figuring out where they're from by how they speak! Nice to hear one's confidence in their own skin. I like that too.

Gini said...

Just re-read the last sentence - didn't make sense. I like to see when one is comfortable in who they are. Which you obviously do.

I'm all screwed up thinking I was coming to your blog tonight to get my Idol recap........