Friday, May 1, 2009


On Wednesday I took Abby for her Preschool Screening.

I have assumed, basically since she was born, that she would go to preschool at our church. They have a 2 days, 2.5 hour 3-year old program and then, at 4 years, they go to 3 day, 4 hours. Then, Boom! 5 days of Kindergarten and then the rest of your life...

Well, this screening came up and of course, with the wisdom and encouragement of my husband, I filled out the application.
See, our church's preschool program, while wonderful and full of good, Christian values is $130 a month.
This one, as it is a part of the Hebron Public Schools, is free.

The only glaring difference is that this, free, program is 4 days a week, 2 hours a day.
That's a lot for me to digest. That's a lot of days of "gotta get up and out, baby girl!" To go from having nowhere of any importance to go to having school 4 days a week seems like a big jump to me.

The other thing about this school is that there are 3 levels of kids and only 2 are accepted in:

Level 1- Special Needs. I am thankful that Abby is not in any need of anything extra at this point and I assume that the majority of parents are aware of their child's needs before the screening and aren't shocked to find out that their child is.

Level 2- Average 3 or 4 Year Old. Any parent would be perfectly happy to have their child fall into this group. Myself included. Except if you kid is "just average" - no free preschool for you!

Level 3- Peer Models. I am not exactly sure how they classify that and I hesitate to use "gifted" as a synonym. I believe these kids are probably just the few that develop a little quicker and may be a step or 2 ahead of their peers (the average kids). I also believe that this "giftedness" will likely fade into "normalness" by kindergarten. Just as half the "Special Needs" kids will, too.

Lastly, if your child does fall into Level 3, you are then put into a Lottery. So, there are a few hurdles to overcome before you can yell "Yeehaw, No Tuition for Me!"

And, frankly, Average or Lottery-Loser won't disappoint me.

I agreed with Jay that NOT applying for free preschool is silly. And of course, I want to hear that my child will be a Peer Model. And, of course, I am thrilled and excited about how much my baby is going to flourish in and absolutely love going to preschool.
But she can be in love with school 2 days a week for now.
That would work just fine for me.

4 comments:

Allison said...

I was pretty impressed with the educators in this program. But KindeRAHMA will be a fine option for us if we don't get in--I found their staff to be really friendly when we went for a class visit, plus I liked the interaction with the high school kids that assist in the program. I am not sure I can cut the purse strings four times a week!

Gini said...

The whole idea of a Peer Model program is definitely something I find amazing. When Connor was in his Early Childhood program for Phonology - there were a few Peer Models in his class. Because his special education was speech only - obviously the models were there to model speech. With so many budget cuts and school losing many of the special education programs, some of them are combined classrooms now. Garrin is in a special education and even though he receives intensive speech for 90 minutes per week, he is also classified as a Peer Model to the other students in the class - some are autistic, Downs, severely handicapped. Being a Peer Model has made him empathetic even at 3 and less aware of his disadvantage. LOVE LOVE LOVE these programs. How great that Abby may have the opportunity to Peer for someone. Call it an early boost to their self-confidence.

Unknown said...

G- My girlfriend's daughter had been through this program and she said that her daughter learned empathy and patience that she never would have tapped into at such a young age.
That sounds wonderful, I agree.
Really - the whole thing does.
As soon as I get around FOUR DAYS! :)

A- Did you mean purse strings, like Preschool is expensive? Or Apron Strings, like me - not wanting to let my baby go all four days!!! :)

Allison said...

LOL--Yes, I meant apron strings--but OBVIOUSLY have purse strings on the mind!