Tuesday, May 5, 2009

My name is Liz. I am addicted to shopping.
I am aware of and honest about this.
But what I am less honest about and becoming more aware of is -
my addiction to shopping bags.
Today, as I head out to the mall for my last "pre-vacation shop",
I carry with me 2 reusable totes.
One is from Gap (hooray!) and one is from Food Everyday magazine.
They are the only 2 I could summon up the courage to carry in public
(outside of the grocery store).
I have been using the reusable bags in the grocery store for a long time now
but this will be my first mall trip where I will not say
"do you have a shopping bag?"
Wish me luck.

5 comments:

Gini said...

You can look at this two ways -

You are helping the economy with your continuous shopping, and helping the earth, by recycling your bags.

or

You need to get into a 12-step program for constant need to shop.

(I say...have fun shopping!!!!)

Allison said...

GREAT IDEA--It has never crossed my mind! I'll take one to Starbucks tomorrow when I stock up on my beans!

Kim said...

I feel ya. I have a shelf full of bags in my pantry. All sizes, all colors, all stores...but, I definitely do use them frequently so I feel justified!

So, do you ask for a shopping bag, even when you don't need one?

Mama said...

I am so proud of you for bringing your bags! PS It is a boy!!

Unknown said...

Kimmie - Yes, I do (I mean "did"). And I reuse them all the time, too... and then recycle them... so maybe I am more trying to squelch the superficiality behind my logic. No more bags!!

Bonus- When you come in after 4 hours of shopping with only 2 or 3 bags that are always lying around the house anyway - it makes a much smoother entrance. :)