Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Today was nice. We had a very busy weekend and Jay had to go to MA for a few days this week so we wanted to take it easy. Yes, today is Tuesday but yesterday we had a Ped. appointment (3 yr old check up - everything's fabulicious) and a few errands to run, including a trip to the shoe store. More on the shoe store later.
So, today was our day to relax in our jammies for too long.

Thanks to our lack of adjustments to "Spring Ahead" we woke up a little after 8 (I think that was our last time, though, today allowed for "adjustment"). We watched tv, organized some winter/spring clothes, did some laundry, ate and just relaxed. Wyatt took his nap and our friends, Debbie and Baby Jack, came over. We made some crafts and drank some coffee.
Then, later in the afternoon we had a few errands to run and we ended them in the local restaurant (not much more than what you would picture in a movie featuring many toothless goobers and maybe a trucker or 2) for a quick dinner.
We got home, the kids had a tubby & went to bed and I was back here, on the couch, Smartones dessert in hand, Macbook on my lap, laundry folded, DW set to run, coffee set to brew - and it's barely 8:30.

I do want to share this one little hiccup of the evening - it happened while I was putting Wyatt's jammies on and Abby was still naked, playing with her dollies on her bed.
When I was done with Wywy, we headed into Abby's room - me, cold, wet and ready to be done; Wyatt warm, lotioned, jammied, hair combed, duck butt waddling around in cuteness. Abby looks up at me, from her spot on her bed, right next to her pillow and on top of her comforter and says, "Mama, I peeped."
Long story, short, she was too cold to get down and go to the potty but she had to go, so she just created her own little warm spot right there on my bed. I'll call it an accident. I was soooooooo infuriated but once again, I find myself in that weird position of not wanting to yell and make her feel badly but not wanting to coddle her either. So, I was just firm and quick with my explanation of how "accidents happen, listen to your body, yada yada yada..." I made her get down, use the potty and put on her jammies while I stripped the bed and remade it with new sheets, mattress pad cover, blankets and one pillow.

Here's how the conversation went:
A: "Mommy, are you mad at me?"
Me: "No, sweetie."
A: "Are you angry?"
M: "Nope."
A: "Maybe you're angry at my peeps."
M: "No, sweetie. Mommy's not angry. Mommy is frustrated because Mommy is tired and because you didn't use the potty, now Mommy is making your bed when you should already be sleeping."
A: "It was an accident, mommy. I'm sorry."
M: "I know, pumpkin. Mommy's not upset with you."
A: "I know, mom, you're fusterated."
M: "Right, but you are a good girl who knows to listen to her body and do peeps on the potty and mommy is so proud of you. Accidents happen."
A: "Yes, mommy. And fusteration happens, too."

Gotta love conversations with a 3-year old.

Back to the shoe store. My big boy got his first pair of shoes yesterday. Yes, he's almost 17 months old. Yes, he's been walking for almost 5 months. But I am a true believer in 2 things - a) letting them be BABIES and b) barefoot is best (so is breast, but that's a different soap box). So, my boy wore his Robeez, when he couldn't be naked-footed, for as long as he could.
Wywy is a puddle-jumping, snow-playing little monkey, though, and those little Robeez were taking a beating. Not to mention his little feet were getting wet and cold. So, off we went to Stride Rite.
My sister hates Stride Rite, or at east hates all of them EXCEPT the one on Main Street in Mt. Kisco, but I have never had a complaint. Yeah, they're wicked expensive. But, they carry good, quality shoes for tiny, still-forming feet and they specialize in kids' feet, so measuring and taking the time to try on and feel out is a focus.

So, Wywy got a pair of "Walking Shoes" (the next step up from Robeez). This post has been long enough so I will just leave you with these pics:




6 comments:

Allison said...

Love being done with the night by 8:30--James' bed time is 7:30 but daylight savings has mucked things up a bit (no nap two days in a row). Anyhoo, I love the fusterated comment. Very sweet. Hey, I don't know when the open houses are, but want to go. Can you e-mail me the info? And where are u volunteering this weekend?

Gini said...

Working backward again - Great new shoes. I, like you, have always prefered my kids to go barefoot when possible. Especially my boys, who, with speech issues, have had touch issues with hands and feet...interesting, huh? So, still we all go barefoot when we can. The potty thing - it's ironic I was talking to my brother last week about potty training - Garrin been trained, I don't know how long but last night - TOTALLY WET THE BED. Never done that before. I mean wet, like soaking wet. You just never know, with kids. And of course being the stellar mom I am - acted a little "fusterated" in the middle of the night....Anyway - The Time Change Sucks.

What are open houses?

Unknown said...

I think we "stellar moms" (oh yeah, I'm stellar, too!) get the most "fusterated"!! ha!

An "Open House" is a time to go and look around at a school, meet the teachers etc... was that a serious question?
I am going to Christ Lutheran on the 18th and to KindeRHAMa on the 23rd (?)

Allison said...

Ha ha, I don't know W H E N they are. Not what. LOL.

Kim said...

Don't you just love those days when you can just relax? I always feels like I get so much more accomplished on those days. Maybe it's because there's no pressure to actually accomplish anything.

Poor Abs with the accident. It's so amazing to see how they can piece it all together in their little minds. She is wise beyond her years.

And, I couldn't agree more on buying good shoes. I knew a guy who owned a shoe store (Stride Rite, actually), and he was always saying what a mistake it was for parents to buy their kids cheap shoes. Love the pics of WyWy in his new kicks!

Gini said...

Yes, totally serious - I was just being nosy and was wondering what Allison was refering to - open houses. Could be any number of things, I suppose. Thanks for clarifying. Interesting that your kids may end up at the same preschool - small world!