Monday, January 4, 2010

So, we've been here before.  It's the beginning of a new year.  It's a clean slate.  It's the annual "make myself a better person" time!
And yes, I am vowing - once again - to make myself a healthier, THIN person this year.
I signed up for Yoga.
I made a doctor's appointment.
I threw out all the leftover candy.
I perimeter shopped at the grocery store today.
And right now, as I sit here and type, I would really - REALLY - like to be snacking.  But I'm not.
I had a grapefruit and some water.
For dinner we had baked chicken breast, fresh asparagus and rice.


It's little changes, really.  I know that is so cliche but it's true.
I always park far away from the store/school that we are walking into.  Mostly from habit of having to unload 2 kids and a stroller and wanting the space to do that without someone waiting or honking at me.
I have promised that we will no longer eat those boxed or bagged noodles and rice side dishes.  I am more than capable of preparing a healthy side dish or an extra veggie.
I made soup today and - with the help of my new cookbook (thanks, mama!) - will continue to make a soup each week for a healthy lunch or snack.
I also purchased a "diet aid" designed specifically for women.  It's herbal and FDA-approved and all that jazz and while I don't think that coffee ad Dexatrim are the way to go (ah, my early twenties!) this time, I do think that a little boost here in the beginning will help me - both physically and mentally.


Last year I vowed to lose 50 pounds by the end of the year. 
I didn't.
This year I have my physical with the family doc and will ask for a realistic goal and timeline from her.
(Then I will double the loss goal, cut the timeline in half and unrealistically starve myself for a few weeks, give up and gain even more weight.)

I am starting to understand why people drink Decaf.  I have always mocked it but, like most things we mock in our youth, I have come to understand now that a cup of coffee is a nice, comforting, yummy way to wind down.  And caffeine after 4pm doesn't always bode well for a good night's sleep on a weeknight.  I may just have to buy a box of decaf K-cups...  flavored would be perfect.

This morning I showered before school.  Granted, I was able to do it leisurely thanks to a 90-minute delay but still - it started my day off right.
I got the 3 of us up and out, Abby off to school; Wyatt and I to Ted's; back home to make a pot of soup; pick Abby up; head to ManchVegas for some returns; home in time to get Q & K off the bus and home for dinner & bedtime.  Jay made dinner, I cleaned up and put the kids to bed.  And now, here I am.
It felt good.  I felt like I had my shit together.  I might just have to follow through on my big idea to actually set my alarm and get up in the morning before the kids, shower and get dressed and not feel gross and ugly all day, most days.

Wyatt's got a cold.  So does Jay.  I was sick for a few days around Christmas but feel 99% better and Abby didn't get sick (yet).  Let's hope this isn't one of those stick-around-the-house-swapping-from-family-member-to-family-member-type-germs and that it's a simple cold with coughs and snots and aches and then it's gone.

I started sewing yesterday.  I actually only stitched a not-quite-straight line across a baby blanket to make sure I threaded the machine properly.  It felt awesome. 
My first project is to make pillows for the kids with their baby blankets.  I know how to sew with a needle and thread but I want to make at least 2 pillows for each kid and that's a lot of very straight lines so using the machine should be simple and quicker.
After that success is under my belt I am going to make a simple curtain lined with a black-out shade for Wyatt's room.  He only has one window and while I know there is probably more to this idea than I am expecting, it seems simple enough to try out early in my game.
It's worth noting that I am teaching myself how to sew with a brand mew machine that Santa brought me.  So, we'll see how this goes...

Next project for 2010 - Crochet.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Sounds like a great way to start a new year!