Saturday, August 1, 2009

I love the sound of my kids running through the house on the hardwood floors.
I can't wait to replace the living room carpet with more wood for more pitter-patters... ok, more like thud-thuds... especially from the one who's feet are taller than they are wide. Often referred to as Barney Rubble.

The kids have decided they no longer need the child-safety cushions around the brick hearth of the fireplace. They have pulled them off and use them as swords.
As far as I can remember, neither child's head has ever been spared because I placed those cushions there, so let's hope it doesn't come up now that they're off!
It is nice to have the brick back completely.

Making Beer Bread right now. Kimmie made it one time and I haven't been able to get it right since. I am also making the "Garlic Dip" by Tastefully Simple that she paired with it. The bread is Pampered Chef, tho - wonder if that's the difference? How different can Beer Bread be?
Using Guinness, never fear, my friend!

Planning our "Non-Consecutive 5th Annual Jay-bor Day BBQ". Can't decide on decor. I might just skip that expense and concentrate on food & drinks.
Thinking about placing on the invitations "please bring a salad or side that you love" and that avoids everyone asking and the aggravation of prep and fridge-room.
I will make the main courses and appetizers, and of course - DESSERT!! Is that tacky?
My aunt did it one year and she said it was awesome - so many different sides and salads, and a great conversation starter for people.
We'll invite the family and our smallest circle of friends - because just that is about 35 people.
Inevitably, it becomes bigger because my big mouth invites everyone I run into between now and the actual party, but whatever - once you're doing it, you might as well do it, right?
{I promise I won't do it this time, babe, in case you're reading this!}

After Jay-bor Day comes Wyatt's birthday. I cannot decide between one more Sesame Party, Dinosaurs or Diego. I am leaning toward dinosaurs... but if I don't do Sesame Street this year, I'll never get to do one again. And it is so cute, and Wywy really loves Elmo, Ernie and Cookie - and Grover and Zoe, too. And, he's 2, so it's really up to me.
I think it will come down to availability when I hit the Party Store. We'll see. I'm sure you'll see considerably more as Labor Day actually kicks off "Entertaining Season" here at 131. And I really love that!

3 comments:

Kim said...

I love the hardwood in our house, but I have to say I wouldn't mind carpet upstairs. Our floor creak 'cuz the house is old, and I think carpet would help to quiet that a bit.

Try using Newcastle for your beer bread - that's what I usually use so that's what you had that time. We had the TS Cinnamon Melt muffins this morning - yum!

I say scrap the decor expense and I don't think it's tacky at all to ask people to bring a side.

Can you even believe it's time to start thinking about Wyatt's 2nd birthday??!!

Unknown said...

I'll try Newcastle next time - at least I'll enjoy drinking the leftovers - I don't do Guinness. Jay does, tho.
It's actually done - smells great - and I made the dip you made - YUM!!

Carpet upstairs would be nice - I like a soft landing for all that naked time, too - bedrooms should be cozy. Plus - If/When you ever move - it's still a selling point, having that hardwood underneath.

And if/when you ever move - there are 2 big, gorgeous houses going for sale right near 131!!!
XOXOXO

Gini said...

Jay-Bor Day......I love that!!!! For our (rockin') parties - we supply all the meat to grill and soda and water. Everyone else brings a side. Always been that way - probably always will. Also, we don't drink, so everyone is welcome to BYOB. And they do!!!! Don't feel bad for asking!!

You gonna try those cupcakes????