Sunday, August 30, 2009

Weening myself off of Facebook.
Sort of.
I don't intend to "quit it" but I have become a bit too addicted to it.
I am no longer "searching" now I am just straight up "stalking".  I mean, really.  250+ friends on FB.  Do I have nothing else to do but check and see if they're eating, going out or too tired but can't sleep?

Scored a gorgeous, handmade, solid and practically scratch-free bookshelf at a flea market yesterday.  
 $25.
Pledged it, threw our books on it and called it our Hallway Piece.
I love flea markets and tag sales but I rarely go because a) they're early in the day and I hate that and b) it's hard to bring kids along.
This bookshelf made my year.
The bookshelf that was in our hallway was $70 from Staples.  Much bigger but particle board and plastic - nothing compared to what we have now.
We put the Staples thing in our living room for lack of a better place, thinking it would stick out like a sore thumb but it really looks good.
The "wood" color matches the rocking chair which is right next to it and it really blends right in.
Love it.

Summer is fading into Fall.
I still need to sleep with the fan on in my window, but I wake up chilly.  Not quite "need a sweatshirt until my coffee warms me up" chilly but still - I'm not sweating.
I love the hum of the fan.  I hate when that season ends and I have to find a new way to fall asleep.  I like the white noise hum of my kids' monitors on my night stand - so I guess that will fall back into place as my standard sleep inducer.

I have mums in my yard.  But my impatiens are still colorful.  That is a sure sign of the end of summer.  I love mums so much, I start to buy them as soon as the stores put them out and I really don't stop...  really.  I think I had about 22 of them - all sizes and colors one year.  That was the year we had Abby's baptism - ironically the same date that Wyatt would be born a year later - so the mums and 50 million pumpkins and corn stalks became my obsession.  We're always hosting a lot this time of year - so why not, right?


Jaybor Day is next weekend and the 10-Day forecast is calling for a sunny, mid-low 70's sort of week.  Great weather for Fall but not very "pool friendly".  These cold nights and yesterday's rain storm have dropped the pool temp back to the low 70's.  Combined with 70 degree days, that makes for one COLD pool!  Even for us Northerners!
It's really down to only a matter of days before we close her up and look down a the black cover instead of the crystal blue water.  That makes me a little sad.

But it also revs me up.  I have been so sad about the end of this summer.  It was a great one.  Now my kid goes to school, I have Q&K 5 days a week after school, Debbie (my BGF) is back to work and the routine has returned.
Today, after mourning the imminent pool closure, I had an epiphany.
This is my favorite season.  My best time of year.  Why am I not enjoying it?!
I love mums, pumpkins, chilly mornings and hosting parties.  This is my season!
So - bring it on!  And after this we have Thanksgiving and Christmas, then Abby's birthday in January and then lovely nothing-ness.
Then, it all starts over again!  Spring clean up and planting, Summer beach days and pool nights and Fall!!

God!  I love New England and how beautifully You have blessed us with four fabulous seasons!

I am a little bummed that my amazing tan is fading, though.  Today I noticed my coffee stain birthmark on my leg for the first time in months...  it blends into my tan.  Now it's back.  Darn it.


So, with Fall on the verge of full display I have to find a new Lawn Guy.  Our previous "landscaper", if you will, missed us completely one fall and again this past Spring so I kindly requested he remove our name from his list.
Now, I have to find someone else.
I could do it myself.  Sure.  But having it done ensures it gets done, all in one swoop, for one price.  Gardens are clear, borders are respected, piles are carried deep into the woods.  And it takes a professional a few hours.  It would take me, and my rake, several days.  And it still wouldn't look as good.
So - let the hunt begin...

No comments: