Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Today at swimming lessons, the kids had their "barbells" and were learning how to kick while holding them, with no adult help.
My Abby, my sweet, precious, timid baby girl does NOT like to be let go in the water. She has never even liked floating in a boat in our pool with me not holding onto the boat. And even when she let me go under for a minute or swim around her, chasing diving sticks or whatever she throws for me, it doesn't last long. She is a very nervous girl.
Only physically, mind you.
She will talk to you about anything for as long as you can take it. She is not the least bit shy. She can hold a conversation better than many adults I know. She is polite and kind and friendly and fabulous.

But physically, she is just very cautious.

So, today, when "Teacher Kelly" was trying to tell her that she could do it and Abby gave it a few half-tries, she made her way in to the beach and up to our blanket.
In the first 2 weeks of swimming (aka - Level One) she never once left the water. She was very comfortable with her teacher, Joe, and with the water level - about knee deep.
This session, Level 2, is about belly-to-shoulder deep and a whole new ballgame for Miss Abby.
She sat down and I asked her what she was doing.
"My tummy hurts."
"Are you nervous about swimming with the barbells, babe?"
"OH! Goldfish!"
"You want some Goldfish and to sit here with mommy for a little bit until you feel better?"
"Yes, please."
"Ok."
When the barbell portion of swimming was over, she promptly put the Goldfish back in the beach bag and hopped to her feet.
"I'm feeling better, mama!"
Teach Kelly walked by (we sit right by the water, they walk by a lot) and said "Feeling better, Abby? Want to join us again?"
"SURE!"
And off she went!

So, tonight, when I was tucking her in, I asked her about her tummy ache at the beach.


"Abby, were you a bit nervous when you had to swim with the barbells today?"
"No, Mommy."
"You just wanted to sit with Mommy a little?"
"Yes. Because I was scared."
"Well, babe, anytime you feel scared,
you can always come and sit with Mommy, ok?"
"Thank You."

And that, my friends, is what being "mommy" is all about.


4 comments:

Kim said...

Amen to that, sista!!

Anonymous said...

That is right, Moms should always be a safe haven for their little ones. - Shannon

Debbie said...

You moms rock! And maybe someday I will hear the same thing!

Gini said...

I could totally feel all the emotion in this blogpost. You do rock as a mom, girl. We all hope and pray that as time continues, our "babies" will always turn to us with honest and true feelings and not feel hesitant in sharing!!

You are raising a very sweet girl.