Sunday, March 14, 2010

This afternoon I took Abby to see her first musical stage production...  her first "theater experience".
In my life, the theater, singing, music in general has always been a very big, very spiritual, very personal part of me.
I have loved singing forever and always thought I would be "a singer".  I was a Drama/Performing Arts Major at Community College (I know!  Wow!) and whenever I lost my way in life, I always found comfort in music and performing.
So, it felt very right and very natural to take Abby to a show as soon as I thought she could handle and appreciate it.  The time was right.
She's 4, she loves "Just Girls" time and the show was Beauty and the Beast at the Palace Theater in Waterbury.
We bought her a special dress.  She put on her makeup - which includes glitter and chapstick - and off we went to Waterbury to meet Tono, Uncle Mike, Sami and Leen.
I'm sorry I didn't bring my camera.  All 3 girlies looked precious.

We were right on time and as one might expect, there wasn't much else going on in Waterbury on this Sunday afternoon, so parking was a cinch.
I felt wonderful.  Dressed to impress (both of us), hand in hand, heading into the Palace for a "first" I have been dreaming about since pre-conception.
The first act was very long.  Almost 2 hours and full of songs and dialog that, to quote my girl, were "not the same as the movie".  Also, even with the community theatre grade sets, they managed to make the wolves fairly scary. 
Abby started out in her own seat between her cousin friends, then she switched with Sam and stayed next to me, then she made her way to my lap where she told me that she didn't want to come back "until I turn 6" and that "when the lights come on, I want something to eat."
By the time the first act was over, I wasn't sure if Abby was going to make it through another one.  We went out to the lobby, got a few snacks and talked it over.
She decided that staying through the show was worth it for the restaurant meal with her cousins afterward.
Then, once we were all back in our seats she told me that she was not scared anymore and wanted to sit next to Kathleen and Samantha and she would "see me again when the lights come on."
She made it through to the end. 

Let me tell you something - my beautiful, graceful, polite and sweet 4-year old girl was PERFECTION at her very first Theatrical Performance.

She did not talk (not a lot anyway, and not loudly when she did have to tell me something).
She did not fidget.
She sat up straight, knees together, hands in her lap.
She clapped at all the right times.
I watched her profile more than I watched the stage.  It was truly magical for me.

As far as the actual performance goes - here is my official take on it:
The sets were like phenomenal sets...  for a college or high school production.  In fairness, this is partly because it is a traveling show - they are only in this particular theatre for 6 performances then they are off to the next.  But, I have seen plenty of shows at the Bushnell in Hartford that are also "travelers" and never thought that before.
The talent was 50/50.  The performances by Lumiere, Belle and Gaston were outstanding.  Truly.  But Cogsworth, Mrs. Potts and the Beast were almost awful.

I am a tough critic, I'll admit it.  I get a little catty if someone is not knock-your-socks-off-awesome.  A good show will move my entire body and soul.  I will never forget how I felt the first time I saw Les Mis.  And I will never forget how amazing Chicago was, even though I was in the 2nd to last row of a tiny theatre with a partially blocked view.
Both of those shows were in NY.
But, as far as CT theatre goes, I have been nothing but impressed in Hartford.  Wicked, Mama Mia, Movin' Out...  all 3 at the Bushnell, all 3 were excellent.
So, I'm not a Broadway snob.  I'm a "if you're gonna do this thing that I love so much, you had better do it better than me or I think you're taking my life's passion for granted and you suck."

Our next big theater event will most likely be the Radio City Christmas Spectacular.  Last year we discussed it and it will likely be the women of my CT family...  we may rent a van so we can all go together or we'll drive/train it and meet down there.  But I plan to shop for tickets soon.  You can never plan "too" carefully.  Especially with large groups.

For now, I am looking forward to cleaning, packing, organizing, packing up, shipping out and house hunting.
Aside from the ongoing diet & exercise regime, my days are turning their focus on finishing up the school year, preparing for Spring and getting good ole 131 ready to "show"!!  Love it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where are you guys looking for a house...near us by any chance:)
Shannon

Allison said...

Liz--another reason why I love reading blogs--all the little nuggets you find out that you didn't know! A fellow drama major! Nice! I too am excited to take the kids to their first shows, and this area is so rich with opportunity. Hartford Children's Theatre, the Bushnell, Citystage, the Palace . . . love it!

Gini said...

How great that something so meaningful for you as a kid, can be brought into your kids life, just at the right moment for you to watch them experience it. VERY special indeed...

And more talk about moving...dammit. I hate not knowing stuff!