Wednesday, March 31, 2010

I rescue worms.  I thought the kids in Abby's preschool would think it was awesome...  a great game!
They didn't.
I just can't stand to see them all on the blacktop and sidewalks and walkways...  washed up, about to dry out - as soon as the sum comes out and they can't worm their little ways down through the rock they've propped themselves up on, they're dead.
And man, I appreciate those little wormies.  They do good work in my soil.  And yours.
So, when I see one that is especially needy - be it an extra squirmy one or a super fat one (easier to pick up) I grab him and throw him into the grass or nearby garden.
If that's crazy, I don't wanna be sane.


You know that song, "Home Sweet Home"?  Originally done by Motley Crue recently covered by Carrie Underwood?  Well, the kids LOVE it.  Wyatt has a serious thing for Miss Underwood, but that's a different story.
So, we hear it in the car.
That song takes me back to my years of hanging out with my brother and his buddies.  Before he left for the Air Force.
It takes me back to wine coolers, Parliaments and thinking I was hot shit.  Those were the days...

So, now, I hear Carrie Underwood who I don't care for but do like most of her songs, in spite of myself.  And I sing it as loud as I can in the car (with my girl singing right along with me - that kid is a musical genius!  they both are, really...  Wyatt has been able to carry a tune since he was merely months old and Abby has that performance gene that seems to run in my family...  ok, it's just me.)
Anyway - I sing it with Abby even though Wyatt completely objects.  He would prefer his Carrie to sing directly to him, no back up required.
And I heard lyrics in it today that I have certainly heard a few thousand times before but really struck me tonight:
My Hearts Like An Open Book
For The Whole World To Read
Sometimes Nothing
Keeps Me Together
At The Seams
That song is totally about me, man...

Abby loves to sing.  She stands on the fireplace hearth and performs for us daily.  If she can't get all of us in the living room, she'll settle for a half-attention audience in the kitchen, the bedroom or wherever she can find a small majority.
The other days she told Jay that she had to show him her new dance.  Like the fabulous audience he has been trained to be, he stopped in his tracks and gave her his full attention.  She was about to begin when suddenly, she stopped.  She paused, looked puzzled and announced that she "needs a more fancy dress for this show".   We carried on with our days until further notice.
She doesn't bore us with "I am a Little Teapot" or "Twinkle, Twinkle", either.  She knows multiple Dixie Chicks songs, she loves Lady Gaga and knows more words to "My Life Would Suck Without You" than I do.  She's awesome.
And the little man - he sings and dances right along side her.  He knows a lot of words to a lot of songs and as soon as we get in the car he demands "friends from High School"  or "Single Ladies"!!  Sure, sometimes he prefers his Wiggles or even a little Imagination Movers and I am about to go to I-Tunes to download the Yo Gabba soundtrack but I do love how they are so tiny and so cute singing Top 40.  Sure, some of the lyrics are questionable.  But, they are too little to ask those questions just yet.  And when they are old enough to ask, I'll be ready.

Today was the last Wednesday to weigh in.  I was truly, truly hoping to  be down 2 pounds this week.  That would put me at 10 pounds for the month, even though it wasn't a steady 2 pounds per week.
But, it wasn't 2.  I don't track the decimals, but I'm pretty sure that I actually gained a half a pound.  The big number stayed the same, though.  No loss.
So, I know people always say "the last 10 is the hardest" and while this is my last "big 10" it is not, by far, my last 10.
I have to think about the calendar and the weight and the time of year before I set my new goal but I am pretty sure my new deadline will be my 34th birthday.   That is about 10 weeks from now.
I'm not saying you have to go to Jay's site.  You can if you want to but you don't have to.  But, he has been posting some seriously delicious, diet-friendly meals.

Packing, packing, packing.  Getting new carpet installed next week.  The carpet will go down in the Living Room and the entire upstairs.
This is a job that really had to be done, staying or going, so I am unbelievably excited.
I will take some before and afters after I finish the packing that has to be done to help with that job.  Emptying bookcases now, rather than later, packing books, pictures and chochkies.  Getting rid of that hulking mass of an armoire that has haunted us since the day we moved in.  Maybe someone wants it and can come get it.  Maybe Jay and I will take turns hacking at it with various axes, knives and sharp instruments.  I really do love packing.







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love worms too!! I used to vermicompost and can't wait to start it up again. If you need help packing let me know - I have lots of recent experience:) Miss you - Shannon