Friday, August 1, 2008

So, if you know me for 10 minutes, you know that eating meat and drinking milk are a huge part of my life. My BFF thinks I am gross. I can eat a pound of steak, including the fat and grizzle (sp), washed down with a cold glass of milk in about a minute.

I get that "we're smarter than them, therefore we eat them" thing. I get that. I'm not so into the "humanity" of it all that I would want to give up all things living in my kitchen. But I do get a conscience about the "how it got there" thing.

I don't like to think about that news footage where the farm workers were kicking and punching the over-fed, over-injected cows into an area where they could be further over-fed and over-injected. Those poor cows couldn't even walk. I don't know, nor do I want to know how they are slaughtered so that I can enjoy a grilled T-bone.
I don't like to think about cows being fed and drugged in their stables where they can't even turn around, never mind graze in a meadow while a metal clamp milks them until their poor bodies are bleeding and exhausted.

If I decide to "go vegetarian" people that know me will drop dead. No one would believe it or they would think I am hiding a life-threatening disease. Plus, I don't WANT to stop eating beef (or dairy products or chicken or anything!). I just want to find a kinder, gentler way to eat.

So, I have to find a way to eat from good, wholesome, sanitary farms. Maybe I will start buying my milk and eggs locally, from a farm with glass pitchers and metal baskets.
I can't live with myself, enjoying beef at 4.99/lb, knowing it came that cheap because people have become so de-sensitized to the world/Earth/living creatures around them that kicking an animal wouldn't even make them blink an eye.

Eat them with a fork? Yes. Kick them and disrespect them? No.
Say what you want. But I am officially on a mission.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Dennis and I were just having a similar conversation yesterday. I often think I'd like to try buying strictly local produce and goods - support the little guy. If you can get local milk, definitely do it. It's yummy!