Tuesday, August 5, 2008

First I was going, then I wasn't going, now I am going... we'll see.

I am going to the Cape this weekend with 3 of my girlfriends.
I don't like women very much and the fact that I enjoy these 3 enough to want to spend a whole weekend with them says a lot. (We'll see how I feel about them when I return.)
Shannon's parents own a house in Eastham (sp?) so we will be shacking up there, for free, Fri & Sat night.

I tried to back out - citing too much emotional attachment to my children and husband - but the 3 of them came on strong with all the reasons I should go, not once trying to guilt me into it with "but you promised" or "but it won't be the same" or any such nonsense that would have just pissed me off. There was some "you deserve a break", which I hate. Please. My life is so bad?
But there was more "it will be so nice to recharge", "we'll leave late Friday and come home early Sunday", "actual conversation without having to tell the kids to stop eating dirt or to take turns", "a full day at the beach, the real beach, the ocean beach" and, of course, the kicker - "Jay will be gone for three weeks next month - that's a long time, you want to gather your strength!"

I have not been to the beach, child-free, since before I had children. And, frankly, even with Jay, it's not all relaxation. He can't sit still. So, while I enjoy going to the beach with him, and with my kid(s), it will be nice to bury my feet in the sand, my ass in a chair and my head in a book. No one to report to, answer to, clean up, hold, feed... whatever.

So, this is a big deal - 2 nights away from my family. I appreciate my husband's support and desire to spend that sort of time with our kids. He does admit that he is "scared shitless" and I appreciate that, too. Everyone can be that much happier to see me on Sunday afternoon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh good lord. Two days with no husband and no kids? I think I would actually spend most of my time in bed, leaving only to visit the shoe store and the book store and maybe Starbucks. Then back to bed for a nap. Ooh, and I might have to sneak in a massage somewhere.

I know, I know, its not that kind of trip. Still, a girl can dream can't she?

Kim said...

You're gonna have a great time. I hear you, though. Being away is tough, but it just makes coming home and being home even better. Have an awesome time!