Friday, July 17, 2009

Spray-On Sunscreen is the greatest invention since Popsicles. Applying lotion to a tiny, squirmy body on a sandy beach is never a successful endeavor. Yes, I apply the lotion to their bodies before we leave but to reapply after a few hours on the beach is nearly impossible. Enter the Spray Can. Awesome.
Thank You, Mrs. Inventor.

Went out with my husband last night. J. Gilbert's, as usual.
We get out so infrequently that we don't like to mess with perfection. At Gilbert's, we know that the service will be great and the food will be delicious.
Last night was no exception.
I looked hot, as did my hubby. I love getting decked out for him. Lord knows I don't do it on a daily basis (as Dr. Laura suggests!) but I do enjoy it every now and then.
We also have the luxury of one fantastic babysitter who shows up and instantly wins the affection of our children who, at that point, wouldn't care if we dove off a cliff.
That's a nice feeling when you're driving away.

The thing about Gilbert's is that we know what to expect. And last night, like I said, they did not disappoint. I did feel a little... well, bored, though. Jay agreed. The menu is fantastic but we've eaten the whole thing.
Time to move on.
Time to finally check out all the other great joints all around us that we hear about but, being fearful for when the next time might be that we get out, we don't dare try.
Thankfully, again, Stina has eradicated that fear with her recent announcement that she will be attending Eastern SCU rather than SCU. And while I know she will be a busy college girl with busy college things to do. I am also pretty confident that we'll be able to grab her (at $10 an hour) when we need her with enough notice!
Did I mention that she loves my kids almost as much as I do?
That helps!

I really hate Nickelodeon. It's the worst channel since the WB. Really. They create good shows and for that, I am greatful for Noggin. But on Nick, the commercials are all for dangerous, disgusting and/or expensive crap that targets my kids (and yours).
I do love watching my boy's eyes light up when Diego appears on the screen.
I do marvel at how entranced both kids get when Max & Ruby are on. I mean, really, is there a more boring show on television? Not to mention excruciatingly nonsensical to us, the parents?

Today was the last day of Swimming Lessons. Abby "graduated" Level One and I signed her up for Level Two in August. They offer 2 sessions each summer.
Next year we plan to join the Lake because I just absolutely love the community of it. I love the beach playing - the sand castles, the sandy sandwiches, the sharing of all the sand toys, the sound of the ice cream truck (which we took advantage of today!).
I grew up on a beach. That's what we did every single day all summer long. We went to the beach. Being Latch-Key kids, as we were, we counted on my grandparents who lived next door, my aunt who lived up the street or - if all else failed - whomever we knew that was on the sand that we could sort of drop out towel next to and call our "supervision".
Today, I was looking around and I realized that this beach that we go to, and probably every other little lake beach in America, is the same exact one we grew up on. Moms in beach chairs, kids coverd in sand, screaming, running, tin-foil wrapped sandwiches... the only big difference I see is that there are more juice boxes now, back in my day we all drank Kool-Aid from one Tupperware Cooler with many plastic, environmentally-incorrect cups.
And today, I saw a very big difference. One mom, standing by the shoreline (do you call it a shoreline when it's a lake and not the ocean? anyway-) holding her (equally Earth-offensive) styrofoam Dunkin Donuts cup in one hand, her BlackBerry Storm in the other.
Otherwise - it's LMCA all over again.

4 comments:

Kim said...

Glad you guys had a nice night out.

Love your description of summers at the beach, with the Moms on the shore (minus the Blackberry, of course!). Congrats to Abby for graduating Level One!

Mama said...

I agree, spray on sunscreen is the best!!!

Gini said...

Spray on sunscreen rocks! Period.

I hear you on the night out and the same ol', same ol'. For us, the few times we get to go out - I mean you can only eat so much sushi!!!!

We actually like Nickelodeon here. I didn't let my kids watch SpongeBob for the longest time - until I sat down and watched an incredibly stupid, senseless, idiodic, but seriously funny 30 minute episode. Now Bill and I watch George Lopez on Nick at night. Garrin doesn't pay much attention to the commercials so, so far, we are in the clear from all that crap they advertise.

We love swimming here obviously. I love hearing about kids learning to swim - because we never did. I learned as an adult - Bill taught me. And it doesn't matter what kind of beach you are on - there is just something amazing about the experience! Cell phone or no cell phone!

MelissaBrown said...

LMCA is one of my fondest childhood memories. I consider us so lucky to have lived on a lake. I'm so happy to hear that your children will have the same experience!