Monday, July 20, 2009

Let's visit my old friend, Webster.

CHOICE noun 1: the act of choosing 2: power of choosing
Only you can decide how your life is going to be lived.
Choose to be happy and see the glass as half full.
Choose to enjoy the moment, each one as it comes.
Choose to assume that people are good and the world is a happy place.

ASSUMPTION 1 a: the taking up of a person into heaven 2: a taking to or upon oneself
Don't assume the worst or the worst will come to fruition. Don't assume what people are thinking.

RESPONSIBILITY 1: the quality or state of being responsible: as a: moral, legal, or mental accountability b: reliability, trustworthiness 2: something for which one is responsible
Only you can be held responsible for how your life is turning out, what you are accomplishing and how it is making you feel.

You are responsible for making the right choices for yourself and assuming the best.

5 comments:

Gini said...

How lucky we are to have that power of choice? And I believe that most people ARE good and the world IS a happy place, until reality slaps me personally in the face. Then I use that power of choice - to choose not to include something or someone in my life that may not allow me to do all the things you've stated.

Agreed on assumption too. Here's a good one that I heard and remember often, and often like to say to people - Don't always assume that people are thinking or talking about you - because people do that far less than you actually think they do.

Responsibility - People who do not acknowledge accountability for their actions will have difficulty with responsibility.

Nice, "thinking" post. I liked it.

Gina Marie said...

did you ever read the secret? it sounds like it from this blog post...I'm OBSESSED with it!! I'd let you borrow it but I've loaned out my 3 copies already!! ahhh!!

Unknown said...

Thanks to you both for your responses.
I wrote & re-wrote this post last night.
I wanted to express where my head was at after a very difficult day but was finding it difficult to do so without sharing too much on a public journal.
This really did sum it up, though.

Gina- I bought it and read a bit, but it was repetitive. It is basically how I live my life anyway - I just trust my faith in Jesus less than my aura or karma. :)

Kim said...

I have one of those page-a-day calendar pages from more than 10 years ago that has hung on my cubicle or office wall since the day it appeared. It says "Take charge of your attitude. Don't let someone else choose it for you".

This post reminds me a lot of that quote. Words to live by.

Kim said...

Oh, and one other thought...

When I first went to work at Aetna, I went through customer service training. One of the pearls of wisdom I learned was to always assume positive intent. I really do try to do that.

Unfortunately, sometimes you get proven wrong, but that's life. Then you just choose how to deal with it.