Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I love winter.
I love the fresh, clean smell of the air. I love that my daughter is fascinated by the "smoke" when she and her brother breathe outside. I love the calm, peaceful quiet that comes with a fresh snowfall. I love the beautiful winter birds. I love layering my clothing. I love jeans and jackets. I love the occasional slip on the ice that doesn't quite send you on your ass but quickens your heart.
I love watching the snowfall while I, and my family, are warm and cozy in our beautiful home. I love dreaming about spring. I love looking forward to the mud, the wet smell, the thunder storms and especially the buds on all the plants that have been dormant all winter. I love the trees, so strong and tall under the ice and snow. I love making snow angels with Abby. I love when Abby spots a snowman that someone made in the yard and screams with excitement. I love that Abby wants to go ice skating and really thinks she can. I love that everyone is bundled and huddled in their houses so that when we do run into each other, we are genuinely happy to see each other.

I dislike whining.
I don't care for the tone, that high-pitched, squeaky "poor me" tone of whining. I don't like useless complaining. I feel that if something bothers you so much that you have to constantly talk about it, complain about it, "discuss it" - whatever you want to call it... you have a responsibility to yourself to change it.
Sometimes you can't change it. Sometimes life hands you things that you cannot control, no matter how much they bother you.
Then it becomes your responsibility to accept it. And work with it. Find the good, find the challenge, find the meaning in it.
Use it to your advantage.

This post could go in a spiritual direction.
But I will spare everyone who isn't in the mood to hear how happy and peaceful I feel when I trust my heart to God.
And I will leave you with this:
"If you haven't got anything nice to say, say nothing at all."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a poem. I'm with you on the whining part for sure. I cant stand whiners!! Just shut up and deal with it!

Gini said...

WOW. Three very different emotions all in one post. Just shows you how rounded out we all are, underneath it all. The good, the bad and the ugly. I must admit, that I am leaving this post, rather confused to what brought you to say you don't like whining...I admit to a little whining every now and again. And don't say anything unless it is something nice? Liz, come on...talk to me...you did drop the "f" bomb in my comments (which had everyone in stitches...) What's up?

Unknown said...

I F-bomb far too often. But I try very hard to never take what I have for granted - people, place or things. And I never take the Lord's name in vain.
So - regardless of how jumbled this may sound to you, it is all very clear to me. And it's not nearly as "deep" as it sounds. The post started because I am tired of hearing people complain about "more snow" or it's "sooo cold". It's winter, motherfuckers.

Gini said...

okee doke.