Wednesday, January 7, 2009

I just sat down at my kitchen island, stack of bills, checkbook and laptop.
Oh - and a tall glass of milk and 2 brownies.
My question to you is this: Is taking 2 brownies right from the start "piggish" or just plain "realistic"? I mean, come on.

It's January.
New budget, new bills and of course, property taxes are due.
Lots to do... lots to look at... lots to balance and write out and figure and ... well, do...

So, here I am. Blogging.

Today was icy and cold and rainy. I love winter when it's windy and snowy and cold. I hate icy, rainy cold, though. You can't do anything fun. You can just stay in your house.
And school was canceled so I had Q & KP. So while that is enough for my kids - having them around - they are bored with a capital B.
Q found a way out - she is old enough to walk to a friend's house.
KP was not so lucky. We did try, though.
Around 2 I decided I had had enough of the "I'm bored" and "why can't I walk to so-and-so" and I said "ok, fine, I will attempt to drive up the driveway."
That was a miserable experience. One I knew would be miserable but my husband said "well, it's warmer there than here and we only have slush" and I knew that for an 8 year old, seeing is believing, even if he doesn't like what he sees. So, I slipped and slid up and the back down my driveway a few times to prove that I am not, in fact, completely mean and unfair.
At 2:30 I said "let's go" and I got everyone decked out for a walk in the freezing, slippery, icy rain.
I put snowsuits, gloves & boots on, loaded them into the wagon and headed up the hill. But I have to admit I knew it was a bad idea. We didn't even get as far as I did when I tested it out in the car. I was sliding, couldn't pull the wagon and when I tried to walk in the snow and pull the wagon up the ice next to me, it tipped and Wyatt fell directly on his head. Abby rolled a few times in her snowsuit and then proceeded to make snow angels.
It was not a good idea.
But look how cute my kids looked:


So, when all was said and done, Abby, Wyatt and I sat down for dinner.
I had intended to make spaghetti and meatballs but only when the water was boiling did I look to find out we had no spaghetti. In fact, the only choices I had were the pastas from a couple boxes of "Suddenly Salad" or a box of lasagna.
I went Lasagna.
I have made it before and I recognize that I am very bad at making it so, what the hell, might as well try it just broken up, boiled and saucy - that is pretty much what my lasagna is anyway!
It was good. It was weird. But it was good.
Wyatt loved it, in fact. He ate more tonight than usual, he is a pretty picky guy. Bananas and Bread - that's pretty much the extent of it for him.



And here is my last tidbit for you tonight. It's a juicy one, too...


"I'm getting my booger, mama. It's in this hole and it's touching my eye."

3 comments:

Allison said...

Aaah, that last photo is a winner for sure! Love it. Hey toi answer your question, my camera is a Canon Powershot SD1100 IS and is just a llittle pocket-sized digital thing. But--with the macro function and some good editing software it does make me look like I kind of know what I am doing.

And by the way, we are moving your way in less than two weeks. We should chat about that. Maybe we can all meet through Kimmy and Dennis with a dinner at my new place! (And you can bring your pseudo-lasagna) LOL.

Kim said...

Taking 2 brownies is totally realistic! And kudos to you for trying to get up that driveway, with a car or a wagon!

Kim said...

Oh, and I meant to say - Congrats on your new niece to be!