Thursday, October 9, 2008

My baby boy is going to be one in 6 days. One Year Old. Meaning, one year ago today I was a fat, angry, terrified woman - a mother of one precious, angelic baby girl.
In one year, my baby girl turned into a "Big Girl". In one year she started walking, started running, climbing, going to gymnastics and karate (according to her - today, when a neighbor asked her if she was in school she replied "no, I go to gymnastics and karate" Really?! And seriously, did this neighbor really think that she was in school? Duh. anyway...) and is already planning her wedding to Baby Ben. Poor guy - he's barely 6 months on this Earth and she's already got his shit mapped out.
Wouldn't that be something? Imagine if my baby girl and my best friend's baby boy got married? We talked about that today a bit - I wonder if that would be wonderful, as far as mother-in-laws go or the worst possible thing ever.
Where was I?
Oh, right - the Boy.

A year ago he looked like this:



Ok, it was more like this:


Then, he looked like this - for about 6 months straight:

(yeah, he's nursing - sweet, right? And a good shot, too, since I took this pic with my camera phone while nursing him.)

Now, he is trying to walk, he stands up and looks around like he's about to figure it out but in the meantime crawls faster than anything I have ever seen, laughs out loud, flirts like a miniature man, eats as much as his sister, chatters all day about nothing (well, I'm sure it's something, but we don't understand it yet) and just basically grew into the cutest, most lovable, STINKIEST, chubbiest, sweetest, most delicious little man-man I have ever seen.
Don't believe me?
Look:

Ah... this is the life. Just watching them grow, enjoying every sweet minute with them... year after year. Wyatt's first year was extraordinary. It was easier than my first year being Abigail's mom. I was a better mom to start with - that is where the second makes out. They come into an experienced parenting relationship. I don't freak out (as much), I don't over-protect (as much). I enjoy the little things more. I appreciate the time more. I love, appreciate and wonder over every tiny thing. From sounds and expressions to movements and intentions.
I will never look back on these days and say "woulda, coulda, shoulda" cuz I am sitting back now, trying to do it all. And I won't do it all - no one can, but I will continue to try.

1 comment:

Christine said...

he is such a little love!!! I cannot wait to squish him soon!