Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I think I'm done with Martha.
Her magazine, anyway.
I have been getting it for years and this is the holiday season and ya know what? She doesn't have anything new to offer me. Martha, I just don't feel that spark anymore!

Jay & I will be hosting Christmas Eve this year. I am thrilled.
At first, I didn't want to because I love to go to church on Christmas Eve. I love singing Silent Night with a candle, seeing all the little kids all decked out in their holiday gear... but, ya know what?
I haven't been to church on Christmas Eve since the 80s. So - I am moving past that childhood memory. I am embracing my new tradition.
That new tradition is that we host our family (you are ALL welcome) for Soup, Bread, Appetizers (hot & cold), drinks, coffee, dessert and gifts. We get stuffed on lots of different foods rather than a big sit-down meal, drink a lot of wine and celebrate!

Wyatt's party is Saturday. I am so freakin' excited!
Tomorrow is his birthday. This night, last year, I was scared fucking shitless.

Babysat for Q & K all day today. Holy Shit. There is not enough money in the great state of CT to convince me to be a daycare provider. And that is only part of why I will never send my children to daycare. I lose my patience pretty easily. I don't take for granted that these kids know and love me. What if they didn't? What if I made them feel scared or unsafe? Would I care if I was owrrying about making rent or putting food on my family's table? My point is this: most daycare providers do it because they need the money. Is it too much to assume that they are either not qualified for or don't want to work at a full-time job that pays this well? I will never put my children in the care of someone who's main concern is making money off of them.
Actually - my point of this was just going to be that I am so exhausted. And Q & K are good. Yeah, they get annoying, don't all kids? I'm sure they get annoyed with me, too. But watching 2 kids all day, in addition to my own 2?! No thanks!
Let's hope we don't get a lot of snow this year!!

Anyone know a recipe for a good dip to serve with Beer Bread?
I am thinking of making the bread for Saturday, so something I could whip up at home, not order from a specialty shop, would be great!

4 comments:

Christine said...

I remember the night before Kathleen was due to arrive... I was scared shitless too! I bit my nails until they bled for the first time in years!! Isn't it so worth it though???

Gina Marie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gina Marie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gina Marie said...

I'm so upset your feelings about Martha!! But at the same time I totally get them.
I also hate turning through hundreds of ads to get to a couple of okay recipes but it's Martha! Ahh I don't know...
I get to meet her this upcoming Wednesday and I've never been more excited/nervous. I got a "VIP ticket" to one of her book signings and will get to meet and greet with her. I have been writing down like a maniac all the things that I want to say to Martha Stewart! But then at the same time, I'm trying to think of something original-that she hasn't heard some other crazy fan say to her a million times...
maybe I'll tell her that her magazine is slipping...
xo
Gina