Thursday, October 30, 2008

I started my Christmas shopping. Almost a month ago, actually. I have gotten a few real toughies out of the way.
Now, I am trying to finish my niece & nephew in Scotland, because I want to wrap and ship before Thanksgiving and I am having a hard time.
I bought my niece a High School Musical thing that my sister says she will really like.
I want her to have something she will really like. Right?! But it wasn't that fun to buy. That's the thing with kids sometimes. They like shit that leaves you scratching your head. But the important thing is that they like it. And I remain the greatest aunt ever.
{Actually - my nieces have publicly declared their favorite aunts and uncles. I am not #1. Jay has been #1 though. Not sure if that list changes as frequently as I suspect, but I would have to guess it changes with the weather.}
I am also having a tough time with my nephew. I bought him a few fun Bob the Builder things for his birthday, which is also in December, so I thought I would go the clothes route for Christmas. He needs clothes and since he is almost 2, he doesn't really care.
And can you believe I am not having any luck? I can't find anything cute enough!
I love Baby Gap. I haven't found anything there.
I went to Kohls and JCP, in search of cute Carters-type stuff. Nothing.
Checked Gymboree, Children's Place, Janie & Jack. Nothing.
I could go for a toy. But now I am on a mission.

I think I got the green light from the boss to purchase a buffet table for our dining room.
Whenever we have a party, we have to drag up the big folding table. It is a great table, well worth the purchase. But it is huge and forces me to alter my decor. I hate that.
I take a lot of pride in my home and what better time to have it at it's best than when I have 30-40 of our friends and family over? But, no - I have to shift my dining room around and pull out a table cloth to cover up our giant utility table to be able to serve a ton of food and still allow people room to sit down.
Again, the table is great. And there will always be a need for it. But not in my otherwise beautiful dining room.
So - I am searching. The buffet table I have always wanted, is on sale at JCPenney. It actually matches my table and chairs. But now.... now that I am a click away from actually purchasing it... is it the right one? Have I looked far and wide?
I have a great wall shelf thingy over where the table will go. It's huge. The table will be shorter than the wall shelf. Does that matter? Do I care?
If I have to move the wall shelf, is that the end of the world?
I have a magical way of making the simplest thing into a gigantic plan and project. And I can see where someone might be saying "oh, just buy the freakin' table you have wanted for so long. It will be gone before you make a decision, you anal-retentive maniac!" But I am truly, completely serious here - I am perplexed... the table is almost 4 feet long. The wall shelf is 5 feet long. Is it going to look top heavy?
You know what would look great over the buffet? A long mirror.
But then, where would I put the beautiful shelf? Jay's uncle made it and we really like it. It would go nicely in my bedroom, actually...
So - where do I find a mirror?

Ok - thanks for your help.

2 comments:

Christine said...

buy the table dammit....move the wall thingy! Yes it will look top heavy. Do the mirror thing...or do not take advice from a woman who uses her dining room as an art classroom...includes paint, many types of paper, glue, scissors, and yes, even glitter. It is an eye sore, but the Wallmart flannel backed table cloth makes it safe for my young artists to explore their talents!

Kim said...

Good for you starting your Christmas shopping. I haven't even started to think about it.

I say buy the buffet....