Thursday, November 5, 2009

I just realized that "A Quart" is one QUARTer of a gallon.  Should I be admitting that?
I mean - I always knew it was 4 cups, and I knew there were 16 cups in a gallon...  I just never "got it".
Sort of like, "Trust Sleepy's...  for the Rest of your life."
I have been hearing those commercials for what seems like decades but it was only recently (maybe a year or 2 ago) that I really "got it".
Rest = Sleep.


One of my favorite things about Christmas time (and believe me, the list is too long for just one blog entry) is my annual trip to the Hallmark store.
I love choosing the cards that we send to the parents, Godparents, grandparents...  some years I go a little nutty, some years I keep it simple.  But I do love choosing each one.
I also love picking out an ornament for each kid - I try to pick one that symbolizes that year for each kid.  Last year Abby got a Disney Princess ornament, Wyatt got an Elmo.
This year they will likely get Diego & Dora.
Let's face it - they could get Princesses & Elmo again - but I try to change it up.
I have a few gifts that I choose each year for special people, too.  I could order them online but I enjoy going, by myself, choosing, paying and walking away with a bag or two.
I love Hallmark.
I know I could do Carlton or even just the local pharmacy for my cards and probably get away cheaper - but it's all about traditions this time of year, isn't it?


Another favorite thing about Christmas is what seems to be becoming my Annual NYC Bus Trip.  Living up here in the sticks, I am surrounded by people who have never even been to New York City.  And there were a few years after getting married where I didn't get there.  But in the past 4 years or so, we have made it a priority to get to NYC.

We love going down for Easter weekend and were totally bummed last year when we missed it.  (Yes, I'm already looking forward to it this year and it's not even Thanksgiving yet!)
And this bus trip that my town's Parks & Rec department hosts is a great way to get down there, very easily.  And at $40 you can't beat it.  Gas, parking...  head ache.  Or train (plus driving and parking).  Sure, the bus may make me a little nauseous - but it's nothing a deep breath of nasty NYC air and a Dirty Water Dawg upon arrival can't cure.


This is last year with my good friends, Joanne & Debbie.
(I know - maybe I can find shorter, skinnier friends to hang out with, right?)




This is the year before with (l-r)
Frannie, Nancy, Stina, Gina, me, Stef, Doris Lynda

8 comments:

Allison said...

Great new banner! What is a Dirty Dawg?

Unknown said...

A "Dirty Water Dawg" is a hot dog from a street vendor.
To be honest - I don't know where that "name" originated, it might make me even less of a New Yorker than I already feel - but it's catchy, nonetheless... :)

Denise said...

I did know the Sleepys thing but I did NOT know the quart thing! I guess I never thought it through! XO

Debbie said...

I can't say that I though through that quart thing either. But now I know and won't forget...thanks :)

Anonymous said...

I think that NY fam picture was from 2 years ago.

Unknown said...

Oh! You're right - I didn't go the year Wyatt was born!

Anonymous said...

I didn't know that the bus made you sick.
As for the recent weather 3/2/10, would it help if you pretended it was Thanksgiving going on Christmas? Maybe belt out a few carols. Your singing voice shines, you know!

joanne

Anonymous said...

Never heard a Kay Jewelers commercial before moving here. At Christmas after the umpteenth commercial ended, I burst into laughter. My better half had no clue what I saw to be humourous about the commercial. I snorted and said, because every Kiss does begin with K!!
-jh