Saturday, November 8, 2008

Went on a date with my husband last night.
Let me let you into this private little underworld we call "romance"... no one does it better than my husband.
He cleaned up the kitchen and waited downstairs for me while I got ready. When the babysitter (aka - Stina, Jay's cousin and Abby's bff) arrived, he called up to see if I was ready - not bugging, just alerting to the fact that the sitter had arrived, therefore free time had arrived and getting out of the house quickly and enjoying every last drop of that free time is very important to me.
I came down - decked out in full cleavage, tight jeans, high boots and lipstick. And even though I do think the red lipstick was a bit much, he still made a face that said we could have skipped "going out" entirely. And I appreciate that in my man. 10 years and 2 kids later, I still make his head turn.
We kissed Abby goodbye, who could not have cared less about us leaving now that Stina had arrived.

Through dinner, we had a lovely discussion - we talked about the election, and politics in general; the school system in town, taxes, work, our house... all things "adult", not a thing about our kids. Sure, we digressed to a quick story here or there because our kids are ridiculously cute... but the point is, this stay-at-home-mama had an adult conversation with her husband - without interruption or explanation of why someone could not fly or eat candy before breakfast.
Grown up time is important.

Now, for the really important part-
Jay had Crab Bisque, House Salad and a Kansas City Strip.
I had Shrimp Cocktail, Blue Cheese Wedge and Filet Mignon.

Folks - if you respect a good piece of beef - look no further than J. Gilbert's in Glastonbury, CT. You may wait longer than you'll appreciate (relax, have a drink in the over-crowded bar) and you may pay more than you'll anticipate (it's worth it when you only go out a few times a year!) but it is the only place in the area worth ordering steak of any cut.

The desserts are also good, but don't expect to have room. Wyatt and I just polished off my Pumpkin Cheesecake over a cup of coffee... we loved it. Abby was not impressed. She's a chocolate fan, though, so I am not surprised.

Tonight we have our Quarterly Meeting. Some new members joining us this time around, but they're grandfathered. More on that another day...

1 comment:

Kim said...

Sounds like a great date!

Thanks for hosting the Quarterly - we all had a great time!