Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I will have to take another picture of my Dining room. (I told you I make a project out of everything.) I think I may need more than a Buffet Table. I actually may need a Buffet, a Sideboard and a Corner Piece.
Yes. A $200 purchase just jumped to at least $500. If not more. I'm pretty cheap, though, so I could get it done for $500, plus shipping of course.
If I go for the 3 pieces, though, it cancels my need to move that shelf that I was whining about, and negates the need for a mirror - and you know what I found? Mirrors are at least $100 for a decent one, decent size, with a frame... ridic.
Anyhoo...

Today I voted.
Did you vote?
I am proud of my vote. Proud that I showed my children what it is to vote for the President of the United States. And as it is right now, it looks like my choices are KICKING ASS.

Saw the old ladies today.
Took the kids to Danbury hospital to see "Mama's Gramma", as Abby was referring to her great-grandmother. She looked very old and repeated herself a lot.
My gramma was married to my grampa for over 60 years and she is turning 90 this year. My grampa died almost 4 years ago - it was Spring Training, just before I got pregnant with Abby. My point is - my gramma has been all alone, for the first time in her life - her VERY LONG life - these past 4 years. And she got old very quickly.
Sometimes old people die when their spouses die. I think I thought that would happen to my gm. I'm not wishing her dead, obviously, but her last 4 years have been lonely and confusing and scary - and while she has clearly been trying to be independent and brave, I don't care what she says - it could not have been easy or fun. And she's a Bagen. So showing weakness is not an option - God Forbid.

Then we went down to Waterview Hills to see my great-aunt, Law Law. Or, Auntie Eleanor as she is called by most. She is all but completely deaf. I write her notes and she yells answers to me. You should have seen her face when I walked in with my 2 kids. Man - you woulda thought that Jesus Christ came in behind me. She loves the babies. LOVES the babies.
She was so happy to see us, so cute and smiley and blowing kisses to Wyatt and waving and just so friggin' happy.
It's weird - but it's like she's happy to be in the Nursing Home. She's cared for, content, visited and loved. She has no worries - she just "is".
And I say good for her. She is in her late 80's. Never married. And if she lives another year or 10, I think I agree with my aunt, she is a happy woman, in a good place.

We love Tono and Belle. After we saw the old ladies, we headed to Dutchess for some "cousin-friends" and pizza. We had a wonderful visit. My bff came with her baby, Ben, who is my Wyatt's bff and my Abby's future husband.
Sami, Leen and Abby sat at the table for pizza. So Wyatt decided he would, too. My 1 year old boy sitting at the table, eating pizza and drinking from a juice box like he's been doing it for years. And aside from a minor choking incident (a bite of apple went down the wrong pipe, no big whoop), he really did it like he has been eating pizza and kabitzing with the "big kids" for years. Hysterical. I will post pictures another day. I don't do the uploading around here.
We put Ben in the tub with Abs and Wy. That was cute - for about 30 seconds. Ben is a little too small for that giant tubby with my 2 maniacs. We did get some cute naked pictures, though!
I have a good "network". Two sisters and a best friend - that's a nice support system and sounding board.

I don't think I am making sense anymore. I am unbelievably tired. Today was busy. Did I mention that the Hospital, Nursing Home and Sister's House are all in NY - so in addition to the 100 miles to my sister's house, there is the additional driving in between all the visits. It's a lot. But, You gotta visit the old ladies, and you can't make it an entirely boring trip for the babies. So, I have to go to sleep. More tomorrow!


3 comments:

Kim said...

Sounds like a very busy day. Good for you going to visit the "old ladies". Hopefylly someone will come visit us wherever we end up at that age. Sad to think of your grandma without your grandpa.

We took Matthew with us to vote, too. I couldn't help but wonder what the country will be like the first time he gets to vote for president.

Kim said...

Yeah, make that hopefully ... typing one-handed sucks!

Christine said...

I love it when you (and Belle and Baby Ben)and the cousin friends come for a visit! WyWy is really hot stuff sitting up like a big man at the Little Tykes picnic table...he even looked the part until he fell back and his butt got wedged between the dishwasher and the bench! Sami and Leen, (and I) slept very well after last night! You all wear us out!!

Love you!