Monday, June 16, 2008

Well, I am so glad that you asked because talking about my daughter and how I am raising her etc is my absolute favorite topic!!

Feedings:
I nursed but I respect the fact that it is not for everyone. I am sorry I can't be of a huge assistance here cuz you can't measure what comes out of your boobs!! I nursed on command, meaning I nursed around the clock!! I, too, loved the nighttime feedings... it was so quiet and peaceful and intimate. As my daughter is turning one this month I find myself very emotional and - oddly enough - waking up at odd hours... around this time last year I barely slept cuz I was so huge and waiting to pop!! I digress - you should feed your daughter as much as she wants to eat, no more, no less. Of course that is my opinion, but you will find with me that I tend to rely on my baby to tell me what she needs. Babies know. That is nature's way.

Pediatrician:
Dump the bitch. I love mine - he is an older, Indian dude. He is smart but has a sense of humor and an accent that makes for great re-tellings of Dr. Visits!! He always makes me feel better. And his staff is equally comforting and nurturing. You need someone that you can see yourself calling on and respecting for the next 15 years!! (pretty much until she gets her own ob/gyn!!). Follow your instincts. (You'll hear me say that a lot, too.)

Activities:
At 2 months, there isn't much to do. It is a little boring and I think it is ok to admit that. The only advice I can give you - and this even annoys me - is appreciate the quiet times... soon enough that baby of yours will be demanding your attention like you never knew possible.
Also - they sleep so much this little. I think it's great that you try to teach her day from night, I would just caution you to not make yourself crazy by trying to set up a schedule yet. Again, I think what you are doing is great and I don't mean to sound like I am correcting you in any way - just don't make yourself crazy, that's all. She will show you her schedule over the next few weeks (2 months or so) and you seem like you are so in tune with her you will pick it up and simply fine tune it. That is what I did and Abby has truly been a perfect baby. A little reflux/colic gave her a few weeks of being demon-baby but we got through!

Co-Sleeping:
Like I said, I breastfed. So - co-sleeping happened naturally. I didn't mean for it to happen, I was nursing around the clock and I was SO tired, it just happened. One day, I said - this is freaking me out, you are getting too big for mommy to sleep comfortably and SIDS scares the crap outta me, hit the crib. And ya know, she spread her little arms and legs and slept like a baby - literally. She went from my bed to her crib without a hitch.
You can say "wow, you're lucky" but I don't think that is it. I truly believe that you give your child such a sense of security and love by co-sleeping that when you are ready to move her (and she is ready to move, I am convinced you will feel that in your mom-senses and thus feel ready yourself - it all runs together some how).

Instincts:
I truly believe that mothering is completely instinctual. I may not be able to remember if I paid this bill or that bill, sometimes I forget what we were just talking about. But I can anticipate my baby's every need and my body runs completely on instinct these days. I like to call it "mommy-sense" - similar to Spidey-Sense. I believe that nature is the only "right or wrong" and your instincts and your baby's will will guide you through the first year. Trust her and trust yourself. Ask questions but be prepared to disagree with the answers. Listen to everyone but try not to judge the ones that completely go against every fiber of your being. Motherhood is different for everyone. Every baby is different. Every pregnancy and delivery is different. Every woman is different. I marvel and recoil at some of the things I said before I was even pregnant. I was so judgmental. Now I realize that you can never know. No one can prepare you for pregnancy, delivery or motherhood - and you can't prepare them, either.

No comments: