Monday, January 2, 2012

One resolution too many...

As a twenty-something I often scoffed at things done by people that were older - and wiser - than me.  Believing I was smarter (cooler, prettier, clever-er) than anyone else was pretty much my full-time job.  And making a New Year's resolution was something I was definitely heads & shoulders above doing...  I mean, really, why do you the calendar to force you to change something that needs changing?
If you want to lose weight, be nicer, watch less tv, read more, eat better - just do it!
And that's true, you can "just do" those things.  But I am sitting here, surrounded by the decimated remains of Christmas - more trash and recycling than can be picked up in one week, more food thrown out than consumed, more food consumed than ever should be, more dusty decorations to clean up and put away and more tight jeans and sweaters that have mysteriously gotten too short than I care to count.
So, the reason for choosing January 1st has become very clear to me now, at the wise old age of 35.
It's a fresh start.  The chaos of December, the disorganization and unchecked to-do's of the previous 12 months is completely behind you.
If you use a paper calendar (as I do) you literally cannot even see the year behind us.  Anything I wanted to do but never got around to?  Vanished!  Stuff I promised but failed to fulfill?  Poof!
This day, Monday January 2nd, is my fresh start.  My opportunity to do everything the right way, once and for all.
This year is going to be different, people.
I will get healthy - once and for all.
I will stop yelling at my kids - completely.
I will be kinder and more patient - all the time.
I will treat my husband better - he deserves it.
I will sweep every day and keep those hairballs from flying around - I'll make time!
I won't baby the boy and I'll stop over-expecting from the girl - quick turnaround!
I will get to the gym 4 times a week.
I will stop shopping impulsively.
I won't buy candy or cookies.
I won't bake and eat it immediately in moments of weakness.
I will quit drinking and mean it this time!
This is my year, people...  this is it.  No looking back.  No worries, no fears, no doubts...  I am going to be the greatest human being to ever walk the Earth...  or at least Connecticut.
You watch...  You'll see.

*****************

In all seriousness...  I do plan to work on most of those things  but eating right, exercising and keeping my house in order are all I really expect to accomplish.  And by "house", of course, I mean the whole kit & kaboodle, not just the floors & walls - it includes occupants, their lives, schedules, needs & demands.  That's my role, yo.

Happy New Year to you.  Make it everything you want it to be, but don't force it.  2013 is right around the corner...

No comments: