Thursday, January 12, 2012

It's Creeping up on me...

Like everyone else, I resolved to quit eating crap and get back into my exercise routine this year.
Winter is a good time to do that because I have a beautiful gym membership that has flexible hours, brilliant child care and all the classes I can handle.  Really, I have zero excuses.
I'm just lazy.
And to add insult to injury, yesterday I sat around watching the kids play in the Germ Tank at the mall while sipping a venti White Chocolate Mocha.  I am not a Starbucks coffee drinker but this is one frothy treat that really soothes my crankiness and makes me feel quite peaceful and decadent.
Unfortunately, it has the calories of 3 small meals and the fat content for a busy day.  I had suspected that, because it's delicious, but I confirmed it on the website.
I am officially over it because it's not like I get one every day and yesterday I really needed it.
But it's a good example of being completely unaware of what we put in our bodies.
Weight Watchers and others have long been telling us to write it down.  Keep track.  Stay aware.
Every Hershey's Kiss, every handful of peanuts, every left over chicken finger from your kids' plates...  it's all going into your body and you are not even realizing it.
I have had days where I can look back and say "man, I haven't eaten anything today" but really?  I snacked and grazed and ate off the kids' plates all day.  Obviously I fed them.  And if I wasn't hungry there had to be a reason!
I have also fallen into the terrible habit of avoiding my vegetables.
When my mom cooked me dinner every night I never went without my greens.
And when I cooked for my husband every night we never went without.
Now, with him on the road I don't always cook a proper meal.  Mac & Cheese, Pizza, Pasta, Steak on the Grill...  it's not always crappy processed food but i hasn't been good.
I am working on that, too.
Last night we had baked chicken over tossed salad.  That was good and the kids liked it, too.
That's the kicker - the kids like eating healthy.  Well, Abby does.  Wyatt would prefer a steady diet of candy and meat.
So, I am trying to increase my awareness of "garbage in, garbage out" and make myself eat more veggies.  I eat fruit.  I don't eat a ton of cake or cookies.  It's the snacking and the unhealthy meal choices.
"We're so busy" is such a bullshit excuse.  All it takes is a little extra effort early in the week, with a dose of organization and I should be able to pull this together.

Our house is like a warehouse of small appliances.
We have a Juicer, a Quesadilla maker, an Air Popper, blender, food processor, waffle iron, stand mixer...  you get the idea...  I am running out of space.
But I have the tools required to keep it interesting.
So, wish me luck!

No comments: