Tuesday, January 17, 2012

First Snowfall of 2012

It's crazy that the first snowfall of 2012 is, technically, winter's first snow, too. 
When  I was a kid, it seemed to snow before Christmas every year.  We used to hope for a White Christmas but generally settled for a slushy, left-over snow mixed with dirt Christmas.
And last year it snowed pretty much every day from Christmas through Easter.
I went looking for some examples of last winter in my blog and noticed that I really was neglectful in my posts but there was one good one that I will share with you here.  While that post doesn't detail the weather patterns of that scary, cold and claustrophobic winter it does wrap it up quite nicely and really, that's better.  We don't need to rehash the scary, stressful dark parts of of our past.
So last night it snowed and today it's beautiful.  I just said last night to Jay, as we were pushing the pails up the 325 foot country hill we call our driveway "where's the snow?" and he, of course, got pissy with me for even mentioning such a thing and of course, down it came last night.
That gives me a good segue to a more upbeat thought.

How easily are you able to deal with something less-than-lovely and then put it behind you?
Everyone has their thing.  No one can completely forgive and forget every last indignation.  We're not Jesus.  But in every day dealings, how easily do you let things roll off your back and carry on?  Or, if someone really effs with you and really upsets you and hurts your feelings...  if you cry or freak out...  when time passes and they come to you to make up...  can you?
They say it take more muscles to frown than smile.
They say it requires more energy to seethe than to just shrug it off.
All that said, can you take a moment outside of yourself and say "I can understand why they felt that way.  I wish it hadn't happened the way it did but I get it.  I'm over it."

I can't sit here and type away about how awesome I am and how capable I am of doing just that.  I have my grudges.  I have my personal issues with different things, people or situations.  But, I really do try.  I really do prefer to forgive and forget.  And I truly try to find the bright side of situations.
When there is an argument in my house, it often revolves around my desire to find the positive and my husband insistence that I am being unrealistic and need to examine the consequences of whatever just transpired.
He focuses on the stress - the leaky ceilings, the icy roof & gutters, the run-off - while I (try to) focus on the fact that it's all over, we survived and were not much worse for the wear when all was said and done.
It's easier, it's happier and really, we did make it out the other side.

When someone wrongs you, you know that accepting their apology helps you move past the situation.  You know that hearing them, believing them and accepting them, as they are, helps you as much as it helps them.  No one wants to hold onto sadness, anger or bitterness.
But what about when you are the one that effed up?  What is you said something to someone in a fit of rage?  We've all done it.  We've all hit our boiling point and had our buttons pushed at the exactly wrong time.
You can apologize.  Let some time pass, eat your crow and throw yourself at the offended's mercy.
And when they forgive you it should be done, right?  But do you forgive yourself? 
What if the situation clears up and, socially, everyone moves on.  Are you still stewing?  Looking in the mirror and hating what you see?

I finished Jim Breuer's book last night.  I knew his stand-up and have heard his radio show and always liked him so reading his autobiography was right up my alley.
I thought it would be funny, have some good gossip and knowing her grew up on Long Island, I suspected some great childhood stories.
I got all that and more.
That book was more inspiring, feel-good and happy than any other autobiography I have ever read.  And he never went to rehab, got divorced or was homeless.  He simply loves life, his wife and is appreciative of each move, each experience, each moment his life has offered him.
Read it.  It's quick (even for me) and it's nice and you'll feel better for having known Jim Breuer.
You'll also probably find yourself forgiving yourself a little bit more, feeling a little bit better about whatever situation you are currently in and smiling at the little things more than frowning over the big ones.
Well done, Jimmy - you helped a lot of people just by sharing your story.

So now, as I go shovel the 3 inches we got over night I am going to look at the bright side:  the kids will enjoy the snow - they have new sleds and new snow shovels;  the weather is supposed to warm up so removing the snow is my biggest hurdle, no ice;  I have not had to remove any snow yet this year and by this time last winter I had removed a few feet.
Onwards & Upwards!

No comments: