Monday, May 17, 2010

When we first bought this house, I was amazed at the enormous closets, the hardwood floors, the fireplace, the 5+acres, the laundry-off-the-kitchen, the huge finished basement, the 2-car garage.  I felt like we hit the jackpot.  We got a great house, in a great neighborhood, for a great price.
We are so far set back that we weren't worried about being bothered.  Weren't worried about the dogs' craziness being an issue.  We loved that we had this house, in this neighborhood but were able to maintain our privacy and keep to ourselves.

Now, 6 years and 2 kids later, our needs have changed.
We actually have a desire to be involved in our neighborhood and community, with our kids' friends' families and school activities.  A difficult desire to fulfill while living 325 feet down the hill from this "Desirable Neighborhood" we occupy.
We can't see anyone or be seen.
We feel isolated and uninvolved.  Our property is large and beautiful.  And if it were flat we might go out and play some ball on it or teach our daughter how to ride a bike on it.

I had an epiphany the other day when my friend was talking about replacing her carpet with a wood laminate in her basement.   I suggested avoiding "Pergo" and opting for a lesser brand for price reasons.  She rebuked my advice even after I reminded her of the 2 basements I had floored in my homeowner-ship stating "I'm in this house forever. I'm not cutting corners, I am never leaving."
Rather than snort and roll my eyes I felt sad.  I have yet to feel that way about a house.

I want to feel that way about my home. 

I want to "wait" on a project until we have enough time and money to do it "right" rather than rush through it or cancel it, hoping to find what I want in "the next house".
I want to plant perennials and trees that actually mature while I'm around rather than wonder about stuff I planted years later.
I want to invest in White Resin Picket Fence rather than Natural Wood because "who gives a shit about 5 years from now".
I want the house that my nieces and nephews will know the smell and feel of when they visit, like a second home, consistent and comfortable, like 28th Ave was for us growing up.
I want my kids to have "the house they grew up in", one home for all of our memories and traditions to live.  A place to come home to.  After school, after vacation, after dates and home from college on breaks.
I want to plant roots in a small, country town with integrity and character.  I want real community and school pride because our inevitable move is no longer in the back of my mind at the Board of Ed meetings.

My next house does not need to be a McMansion.  It does not have to be new construction.
It has to have good bones.

Because our next house is going to be our home.  We will find The One this time.  And when our needs or wants change, let their be room for growth and change within our home because I won't move again until we downsize as Empty-Nesters.  (And chase our children to wherever they end up because I can't stand to be away from them more than an overnight never mind let them leave me forever!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel the exact same way! I have no clue where we will be after next year but I want it to be my setting down roots home! Shannon

Allison said...

Great, great post. My Mom always told me that when we moved into my childhood home she just wanted a place to put down roots, a place that we would always remember as "home" and a place where we would bring her grandchildren. My Grandfather was in the Navy and I think she said she moved 9 times during her childhood and never felt like she had a childhood home. I want the same for my kids as she wanted for us. Things come full circle, don't they? I also think though that a house, a shack, an apartment, a trailer can all be a home--as long as it is filled with love.