Monday, May 31, 2010

Memory Monday

First up, because she's been on my mind lately, is my only girl cousin, Audrey.
My pseudo-sister.
One of my best friends.  And, easily, one of my favorite people in the world.
Audrey always epitomized "cool".
Where I always looked up to my sisters, I also resented them in a lot of ways.  They were the competition.  They were "better" or "prettier" or "cooler".  I couldn't keep up, couldn't match up.  But with Audrey, I never had to.  She was my friend.  She accepted me, she loved me and she liked hanging out with me.  Even though she was way cooler & almost 5 years older than me.
We shared clothes (the ones I could squeeze into, she always let me borrow!), we had great times out at the movies and, eventually, the bars.

I have so many great memories of fun bars, crazy people, fast food and late nights.  But my memory to share today is the night we went to some bar in Long Island.  Z-100 was there.  There were like, a dozen dance floors. 
We were not sober.  I'll leave it at that, although I will caveat with the "we were not driving" bit - because we really weren't.

Audrey had just started dating Kenny so Dori and I were essentially each other's dates.  Ironic, considering that years later, Dori came out of the closet.  But that's cool.
We danced, drank and had so much fun.  I remember dancing like I was being paid to do it.
Imagine - at the same place as Z-100!  If that means anything to you...  considering how far from NY I have come.

Kenny got all bent out of shape because we ran into some ex-boyfriend of Audrey's that we were so excited to see (primarily Auds, since I don't think Kenny really cared that I was happy to see him).

We woke up around 4:00 in the afternoon the next day with the giggles.  Still.
What an awesome night.
Seriously.  I could do an "Audrey" Memory Monday every other week and have a good one.
I love that girl.



No comments: