Tuesday, May 25, 2010

On Sunday we gathered with some of our closest friends and family to celebrate Jay's college graduation.  I think I covered my sentiment when he and I celebrated a couple of weeks back, so I will spare you that again.

I do want to add, though, that my mother-in-law said it best when she congratulated Jay on completing his commitment, regardless of how many years it took, with his own hardwork and determination at a time in his life that made it far more difficult than had he whipped it out in his late teens/early twenties.  I mean, seriously, it's not like the guy had nothing else to do this time around.
Anyway.
Jay covered his sentiment very well in his post, which also included pictures, so I'll skip those as well.

Whenever we host a birthday party or a barbecue at the house, I am always overwhelmed with the hosting.  I tend toward the side of...  well, bitch...  in my quest to make the perfect party.  I am difficult to deal with in the days leading up to the event and I am often too busy during the party to really sit back and enjoy our guests.
I'm working on that and I do think that I (we) throw a really great party, but this time I decided to step away from the grueling and step up to the simple, check-writing type of party hosting that included choosing a menu, writing a check and sitting back to enjoy the event with everyone else.
The fact is, if you tally up the trip to the package store, the multiple trips to the grocery stores and party store - add time for clean up and set up - hosting at a facility (assuming it's a nice one that has a great atmosphere and delicious food like Blackledge does!) is close in price and far easier on the hosts.

Jay and I were able to mingle.  The kids were contained and had plenty of room to run and play.  There were no dogs to worry about or for Uncle Mike to be allergic to.
There were plenty of chairs, plenty of food - all served at the same time and hot!
We didn't have to make or buy ice and no one had to bring anything but their lovely selves.

Having a party at a place is not a replacement to hosting in the comfort of your home.  I love having everyone in the house.  I love the warmth I feel, love the pride.  But this was a lovely break.
And everyone had a great time.  It wasn't stuffy or uncomfortable.  Erik, the Banquet Manager at Blackledge, was on top of every detail without being annoying or demanding.  He was laid back enough to keep things light but he didn't miss a thing.

The main reason I wanted to revisit Sunday's festivities is to thank our friends and family.  As I sat down to eat with my family (imagine that!  at a party I was hosting!) I looked around at the collection of people in the room.  I kept it "small" because it was a Sunday, Jay didn't want "a big deal" and it's either "small" or "huge" with our families.  So, I kept it to immediate family, best friends and local extended's...  which basically means we had 30 adults plus kids instead of 50.  Real small, right?  And "plus kids" adds 10 - 5 of which were 2 year old boys, how cute is that?!
So, as I was looking around, I realized that the room held the most important people in my life (save for a few, obviously).  The room was so full of love, friendship and peace, it was truly awesome.  We have a great family.  I am so grateful to our parents for their support and friendship.  I am so proud of my relationship with my sister(s) and her family.  I really can't imagine hosting something that the Considines were not a part of.  It would feel incomplete. 

And our friends.  Our friends are amazing.  It's not common to find people in your adult life that you're not related and that you love and love you, that you can be yourself with, you can be honest and not have to put anything "on" to spend time with. 
And we are so very blessed with several. 
Our friendships span years (decades!).  So many life experiences (too many to list).  Our kids will grow up like cousins (kissing cousins, no doubt!) and the memories we make and the great times we have together are absolutely priceless. 
Let this be my big, fat Thank You.  You know who you are. 
Please know that we love and appreciate you all so much and look forward to growing old together and watching our kids grow together. 
Cheers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I love Jay's blog. I might just have to add him to my reader :)

Now I feel like a shitty wife. Darrell insisted he didn't want to make a big deal, so we gathered a couple of friends and family and went to graduation, then hit Ihop afterward.

I did get him a cake though!