Thursday, February 11, 2010

Yeah - I feel like I've hit my groove with this "work out" thing.  I walk for 5, run for 10, walk for 5, run for 10, walk for 5.  Then I go through the "circuit" - you probably know what that is.  It is a series, or a "circuit", of weight lifting machines, each designed to work a different muscle or area of the body.  Some are easier than others.  My quads & calves, for example, are fairly strong.  I challenge you to find a mother without strong legs.  My upper body is relatively weak.  This surprised me because of all the baby-lifting I have been doing for the past 4 years.  But, there are many, many muscles and apparently, we don't need most of them until we do the circuit.
I want to get up to more running, less walking, because I love it but I don't have the stamina yet.
When I think about how I used to feel winded running up the stairs, I know I am moving in the right direction!
I love the Group aerobic classes, too (Dance Aerobics & Zumba) and I try to do Yoga at least once, sometimes 2 or 3 times a week.  I don't mean to insult the die-hard Yogies out there, but I try not to consider Yoga as part of my "exercise".  For example, there is Yoga on Wednesday nights but I still work out in the morning.  Yoga feels so good and it is very mental.  If it was all I did, though, I wouldn't be burning fat.  Yes, I'd be gaining strength and posture and peace but the cardio and strength training are most important right now.
I love this.  And I love the way my body is hardening - I feel muscles that I forgot were there.  And I am increasing the weights I am lifting.
I am not dropping lbs the way I hoped to but I guess that will come in time - at least I am getting healthier.
If I'm being honest, I gained 2 pounds this week.  This really depressed me and forced me to my first hard core run on the treadmill.
Have you heard the song "Wake Me Up Inside"?  I forget who sings it but when it comes blaring into my ears I start running and I don't think I will ever hear that song the same way again.
I can't explain the 2 pounds.  I did eat more than usual on Sunday for the Superbowl but I hardly think I should have gained 2 pounds by Tuesday's Weigh-In for having had some chili dip on Sunday.
Hopefully it was a fluke and this week brings some better results.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Do not under any circumstances let those 2 pounds get you down! In reality, your body fluctuates 2 pounds every day. Also, muscle weighs more than fat so this could just mean that you are toning up and gaining muscle. If you want to lose weight and not gain muscle I would suggest low weights with more reps as opposed to higher weights and less reps. It works. Trust me.

I am by no means a trainer but I have gone through some serious weight training in the past. Stay positive about your training and you'll see results. Also, for me with working out and in life music is the spark in my ass. Take some time and find the songs that get you pumped...surprisingly Coldplay gets me pumped, with a little Jay-Z of course. Itunes has some great Nike+ playlists. Hope this helps.
Stay strong!

Gini said...

I totally get what you say about no upper body strength....waaaaay back when, when I was actually working out and taking care of myself....because I cared....I was so suprisedly weak especially in my shoulders...what the hell??? You are doing so great Liz. It's all good. I miss the feeling of feeling good about working out!