Monday, February 6, 2012

Superbowl.

I won't bore you with my stereotypically female interpretation of football, the NY Giants or anything sport-related at all.
I am not a sports girl, unless it's my kid's team.
That said, I do like the Superbowl.  I like the food, the booze and the commercials and I usually like the Halftime Show.

As much as I make fun of Madonna for being 60 years old and still thinking that she's 25, I still love that she once was 25 and absolutely shaped my childhood with her music.  "True Blue" was one of my very first records and I still love all of the songs on it.

I fell out of love with her right around "Erotica" - the name says it all.  She just sort of went off the deep end and, for this fan, never came back.
Last night's performance was no exception to the rule, she is an amazing entertainer.  I loved that she opened with Vogue, loved that CeeLo cameo'd as the black dude in their Like a Prayer performance and I enjoyed the LMFAO part.

It was fun to watch, I loved the songs she chose and the choreography and extras were all awesome.
But, I return to my original position of "who is Madonna kidding?"
She is old enough to be a grandmother and she is singing about a a "boy giving her all his luvin'".
I don't feel like picking it apart, lyric by lyric.
But if this is the old lady's attempt at showing up GaGa, she's only making things worse.


Gaga grew up loving the Pop Queen, she imitates her, in my opinion, not intentionally but because she loves/loved her and Madonna's style is infused her own.
Madonna has taken a few pot-shots at Gaga in the past few weeks and I wonder if she's just trying to grab people's attention.

I am not comparing Gaga to Madonna because I'm not an idiot.  What Madonna did for music, for women in music, for dance music on the pop charts - for all of music, in general, in the 80's and beyond is not the least bit comparable to Gaga's Egg performance or pole dancing.  If not for Madge, Gaga would never have had a chance.
But what annoys me is that Madonna, ignoring her age and trying to recapture the 80's, is showing a little glimmer of Gaga/Katy-envy and it's making me cringe.

Hang it up, Madge.  You've earned it.  Relax.  Maybe write, produce...  maybe raise your children in peace and quiet...

We thank you.  You can go now.


PS-
This was a little uncomfortable....

No comments: