Thursday, October 28, 2010

It blows my mind that people still smoke cigarettes.  Unless you're 90 years old and have been smoking Camel filter-less for 74 years, what is your excuse?
And with your kids in the car?  Don't even get me started.  We all remember sitting in the backseat of our parents' station wagons getting ashes flicked onto our foreheads...  but that was "the old days".  You have no excuse today, folks.
It's disgusting and if I was ok with the government telling us how to act, eat and consume down to the very details of our day, I would be ok with it being illegal.  But I'm not.  So use your judgment, people!


This weekend is Halloween.  Spidey is very excited.  He asks to wear his costume every single day and will have the opportunity to wear it three time over the next 4 days.
Tomorrow is Abby's Costume Parade at school, Saturday is a party at our friends' home and Sunday is Halloween which will be kicked off with our "Pre-T-o-T Pizza Party"!  We're having friends and neighbors over for a pizza & BYOB warm-up before we all swarm the neighborhood.
I cannot wait!
Halloween has never excited me much, not beyond the great movies on cable and the season in general.  But with the kids, that has changed.  They are so excited to go trick-or-treating, see all their friends, walk in the school parade and eat candy, candy, CANDY!  I don't blame them - it's all pretty exciting when you're barely 5 & just 3.

Their costumes, originally, were to be Buzz Lightyear and Rapunzel.  I was oh-so-thankful when Abby changed her mind.  THe hair for the Rapunzel costume was giving me major anxiety.  Plus, the movie hasn't even come out yet - why so excited?
But I was really sure that Wyatt was set on the Buzz thing...  he loves him, he ran around the house yelling "to infinity and beyond" and shooting lasers at us (read: spitting while touching his arms).
But, I underestimated both of their love of Superheros.
Abby has liked the X-Men for some time and in my attempt to allow that, I had introduced the older cartoons to them because the newer X-Men, Spiderman and Batman shows are very adult.  Thus spawned the love of all things "Super".
Abby spied the SuperGirl costume and was immediately taken with the gold belt and fancy skirt.  Wyatt took one look at Spiderman and hasn't looked back since.
Example, this was at his birthday party after much of the crowd had dissipated:
He shoots his webs with laser precision, folks so look out.

Each day that we head out of the house Wyatt is a different "man", be it Batman, Superman, Spiderman or Iceman.  Iceman shoots his ice walkway for us as we walk wherever we go.  Batman flies, as does Superman (yeah I know Batman doesn't fly, not sure where that came from) and Spiderman shoots his webs everywhere and at everyone.  It's a good thing he's cute because when I say at "everyone", I mean that.
They both enjoy the cartoons, specifically "Spiderman and his Amazing Friends" narrated by Stan Lee.  While we had his eyes covered on his brithday so that we could present him his Spiderman Bike from Grammy and Granbear Jay turned on the theme song to that show and he nearly bounced out of his skin trying to see what was going on.  He was not disappointed:

I'll leave you with this exchange with Abby from this morning.  It was the kind of conversation you wish others could hear but the precious kind that only ever happens while you're driving and you can't record it or write it down.
Abby:  "I don't think Flash is a superhero, Wywy.  He doesn't have any powers."
Me:  "Yes, he is, Abs.  He's Flash!  He's got super speed!"
A:  "So, what can he do?"
Me:  "Run really, really fast!  Catch bad guys!"
A:  "Oh, so he can run really fast and catch the bad guys for the real superheroes to fight?"

Love it!

No comments: