Tuesday, September 8, 2015

It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Smell that?  That's the smell of crisp autumn leaves and mulled cider.  Maybe some horse poo.  That's what Fall smells like.
Picturesque New England Autumn

And we may live a stone's throw from the beach in some of - if not THE - best weather in the world but my body still craves crisp nights, crunchy leaves and the smells of apples and pumpkins.
Redondo on an October night.

I am not saying I would trade it.  Cali suits us just fine.  But I am burning an Apples & Oak tart by Simply Soy.  And I am getting my crock pot recipes ready to go.
The weather may not cool to the 30's and 40's but it will shift and we can still count on that sea breeze each afternoon which cools things considerably.
Dinner on busy school nights trumps air temperatures.

When we first got here I laughed at people wearing sweaters.  Now, only 5 short months later, I get it.  I have become accustomed to - spoiled by even - these fabulously hot and sunny days.
Dry heat is a cooker.  It's not sweaty like humid heat.  It's more like you are actually feeling the heat coming out of the oven or off the fire.  And it's hot.  Still preferable to soaked shirts and running make up, though.  And when it goes away, it's gone.  The breeze picks up and it almost feels chilly.  I don't want to get all science-y on you, but it's got to have something to do with the lack of humidity and stillness.  It's hot or its not, that's it.

School starts the day after tomorrow.  Tomorrow night is an official "school night"!
I am thrilled!  I am beyond thrilled!!  I am a stereotype of unbridled excitement as I am about to be child-free every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 9 - 3!!
I will exercise!!
I will clean!!
I will read my book!!
I will grocery shop unencumbered by the wants, the whys, the pleases and the tantrums!
I will accomplish things!
I can be room mom and field trip helper and softball coach, too, because I will be free!!!

I know how I sound!


And I know that come April and May of 2016 I will be singing the exact opposite tune, if not sooner.
But for now, allow me to enjoy it!

And this school year will be full of new, different and exciting adventures.
Both kids have Fall Ball.  2 afternoons a week for one left handed pitcher and one right handed catcher.  That's convenient, I know, but we didn't do it on purpose!
We also have a new dance school for our little ballerina.  We were lucky enough to find one that is not only a bit less expensive but also offers two classes Abs wanted in the same afternoon - which is a different afternoon from Softball.  Yay!!
So, new school that isn't so new anymore, new dance classes, new ball teams...  this year is gonna ROCK!

Having moved in April and having known for certain since January made last school year's second half less of a focus than normal.  Moving distracted from school work in Hebron.  And once we arrived we urged the kids to get comfortable and feel good about where they were, rather than strive for perfection in the classroom.
I believe we did the right thing.  "Heart over Head" is what I said to them over and over again.  Because if they weren't happy and comfortable in their hearts, they weren't going to be successful in their classrooms anyway.
They can't always both be a priority.
But this year - this year they are gonna hit the ground running!!
They are not new anymore!  There will be other new kids to help out and feel better about feeling at home here and not home there  anymore.
We have made a conscious effort to stop saying "back home" and say "in Connecticut".  Because, as long as we don't accept this as home, it won't feel like home.

And this - where the 4 of us are, wherever it is - is home.



So, with a shiny new lunch bags and back packs, super fast new sneakers and only the style-iest of style-y new clothes - we are ready to launch into Third and Fourth Grade with all our power!

And guess what?  Grammy & Auntie Frannie are gonna be here to enjoy the ride!  First day of school - Thursday.  Pick Grammy & Auntie Frannie up at LAX - Friday!

From that visit we can look forward to Wyatt's birthday and our visit from Nana and Papa!!

Then Halloween (at Disneyland?!)

And Thanksgiving (with Shamu?!)

And Christmas...  with twinkly lights on palm trees!!  A longtime wish of mine, I can't wait to put twinkly lights on all these tropical plants!!

Happy New Year, my friends - hope your 2015-16 is as fabulous as you are!

No comments: