Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Over the past few years we have celebrated Christmas with my parents, siblings, aunts, uncles and cousins on the weekend prior to the actual holiday.  That day was this past Saturday.
It used to be that we ("we" being my family pre-marriage - parents & sibs) would gather with my mom's family on this weekend.  Then, after we all had kids of our own and sort of spread out across the states, it became our only day to celebrate together.
That has made it the official "Christmas" with my parents and siblings and a day that I truly treasure.  I absolutely love the day with my family.

If it snowed, we'd be crazy to drive in dangerous conditions.
But we'd be crazy to want to cancel our day together, too.
So - we gathered earlier than planned.

Our party was supposed to start at 3 with a kick-off (of appetizers and gifts) at my Aunt Carol's at 11:30.  The whole day was planned.  The gifts were wrapped, the cookies were baked.  I made a pie and a salad, Jay made (awesome) sausage & peppers.
With the impending blizzard - my aunt graciously allowed us to cancel our plans there and we headed to my parents' house for 11.
Everyone was there before noon (we were actually there by 10:30!) and the day went off without a hitch!

We sang our carols, ate our chow, opened our gifts and really enjoyed each other for a good, long time.  And then we all got home safe & sound in time for what promised to be (and didn't diappoint in this neck of the woods!) a fabulous snow storm.

The thing about my family that makes it so very special is so very simple:
We really like each other.
The enjoyment we get from just being together is priceless.

Sometimes,  you have to take a step back, really observe what is right in front of you and realize - honestly and deeply - how luck you really are.
My family loves me.
I love them.
And we had the merriest Christmas.

Abby said it best - "I got everything I ever wanted!"

So did I.






A very special Thank You to OmaReenie for the Mets glasses.
To quote Jay, "I just hope we don't choke when we drink out of them!"


Gramps.  Our patriarch at 90-somethin' years old.  He's gotten considerably quieter & the ride to Brewster isn't as esasy as it once was, but his presence is still lovingly anticipated and appreciated.

3 comments:

Allison said...

What a precious thing for you to have that special time where you can all celebrate together!

Denise said...

It sounds wonderful!! Isn't family the best? XO

Anonymous said...

So true...family and friends are all the gifts we really need! Shannon