Monday, July 28, 2008

Tom Cruise was Right

Wal-Mart sucks.
I went there today. For the first time in a long time. In fact, I don't think I have been there since Abby was on formula. Before then, really, cuz I stocked up and swore I would never go back to WalMart again.
It is disgusting. Fat, dirty, poor people who ride scooters simply because of their size shop there. Lots of them. I saw a few people that were missing teeth. Huge gaps. And I'm not talking about little old ladies who forgot to wear their teeth, I'm talking about people younger than me. I also have an image burned into my mind of one young woman with the biggest teeth I have ever seen, gunning for me, coming right at me. And ya know what? I could lit-er-ally SEE the plaque build up on her giant teeth. I could see her plaque. It was that thick.
Wal-Mart sucks.

I was willing to forgo any sense of dignity, though, ad battle it out with the scurge of Willi-town - to save money. This is a difficult economy, money is tight for everyone and where you can save a buck or two, you should. Especially since oil companies are LOCKING us IN at $4.88 per gallon right now.

But that's the thing. I didn't save any money. Wal-Mart is not that cheap. Maybe it never was but in prior years, I was not as savvy a shopper, perhaps.
Today I was following my list so closely and I didn't buy more than half of it.
Examples:
6 pack of Dove. WalMart price: $6.56 Stop & Shop price: $5.99
Case of Pampers. WalMart price: $19.99 Stop & Shop price: $18.99
Bounty "Big Roll" 6 pack. WalMart price: $9.97 Stop & Shop price: $8.99
All Small & Mighty, HE. WalMart price: $4.66 Stop & Shop price: $3.99

Bananas. Walmart Price: $0.64/lb Stop & Shop price: $0.50/lb

There were things I saved on.

I picked up a couple of Wal-Mart cans of formula for $14 per can. That's a good price and Abby was on WM brand and she has certainly thrived. But Wyatt is a little more sensitive than Abby so I only bought a couple as back-ups. The actual formula he takes, Similac Isomil Advance was $26.99. It is $25 in Stop & Shop.
Milk was $3.92 which is decent for Garelick Farms but the normal sale price at a regular store. Lubriderm was only $7.50, J&J Baby Wash was $3. I dunno... I am not "sold" on the "Low Prices" thing. You really have to know your products & prices. And I do. I know what things should cost and what they will go on sale for and if a coupon is worth clipping. I pride myself on it.

I used to shop at S&S all the time in Southington. The Shaw's was so gross. Then, when I stopped working and had Abby, I went 100% Shaw's because of the prices.
Now, I am back at S&S. First, because Shaw's is so gross, it doesn't matter what town you live in. Then, I realized that the prices at Stop & Shop are comparable if not better than Shaw's. Plus, you can't beat the service or quality. At least around here.
My mil shops at Big Y and loves it. I think it's a little too pricey and their sales are always "Buy 1 get 2 Free" and we just don't need 15 pounds of potatoes or strawberries all at once.
My mom shops at the A&P and their prices really are good. Is that geographical or do I wish an A&P would open near me? Dunno.

Anyway. The point of my Blog, this evening, is that WalMart sucks. I will never go there again. Never, Ever.

2 comments:

Kim said...

I hear ya. Why is it that every Wal-Mart, no matter where it is, seems to be filled with those people?

Sometimes I think I'm turning into my grandmother, God help me. I scour the flyers to see what's on sale at which store, and then I make my rounds. All in one trip, preferably, so I don't eat up all the savings having to refill my gas tank.

We stopped for gas yesterday and saw 1% milk for $2.89 a gallon. Every other type was $3.79 a gallon. Why? I can't figure that one out.

Anonymous said...

I swore off Walmart back when we were DINKs after seeing a woman hock a loogey on the carpet. Target was just opening and I decided I'd rather shop there. Of course now with two kids I'm back to buying groceries there, but I actually am saving money on most things. Plus I'm saving gas because I'm buying my diapers there for about what I was paying at Target but driving half the distance and only making one trip.